Growing your own ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacob5023

Reaction score
I have heard of people growing their own brewing ingredients and I was wondering where do I buy the seeds to grow my own? What all can you grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One ingredient that is popular to grow are hops. They come from a rhizome, which is basically just a root cutting. There are a few site sponsors that have some deals going on at the moment. nikobrew.com is one, http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com/ and arrowheadhops.com are a couple of others. I've only grown hops for two seasons but they have done pretty well. If you check out the hops growing sub forum on this site there is a lot of good information to get you going. I've read some posts of a couple of people growing barley but I'm not sure how much success was had. If you plan to use spices or herbs in your beers you can grow them as well.

Realistically most people can only grow hops, not barley.

You can only really grow barley if you have a ton of acreage, and proper ways to actually malt/roast said barley in a controlled fashion.

Hops on the other hand are easier, you just need a space that is 20 feet or so that you can grow upwards...either build some type of post to let it grow up, or there are plenty of hop trellis designs out there on the web.

Latest posts

Back