Growing Saccharomyces Boulardii from a capsule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pionoor

Reaction score
Hi,

:off:

Recenlty, I have been taking Floraster (saccharomyces boulardii) probiotics, and it really, really helped with my digestive system issues. It is the best probiotics that I have tried so far. It is, however, very expensive, ~$0.75/Capsule. So I was wondering if there is a way to grow it at home using cider or any other liquid medium. My questions are:

1- I've read somewhere that it is possible to brew cider with it instead of champaign yeast, but does the brewed cider has a large number of live CFU?

2- Can I use some of the brewed cider as starter to brew a new batch, or do I need to make a new starter from another capsule.

3- If not, is there any other way to culture it in a sustainable way without producing alchohol

Thanks you very much :)!

Just so you know, double posting 2 threads isn't good, and might come off as spam.
That said, it is a baker's yeast, a subtype of saccharomyces cerevisiae, so if you make a "beer" with it, you'll propagate large numbers of yeast cells by pitching it into wort and letting it ferment. As with any other beer you could decant the beer and then use the trub and toss the beer. If it produces a little alcohol, so be it, there would be little in the trub. You might try making a gallon of beer with it using a capsule or two and a pound or slightly less of DME to see what happens. Aim for a gravity of 1.030 for maximum yeast vitality and cells produced.

Thanks for the reply. I made a mistake and posted it twice, I tried to delete one of them but I couldn’t. What about cider?

So I've been using s. boulardii to make "probiotic cider" for the same reason, I started taking s. boulardii a while ago, saw the benefits, and thought "um... could I just make booze out of this and get the same benefits?"

You can and I've been getting the benefit without having to take the capsules. I started with the Jarrow brand version, which is frankly pretty cheap, so the experiment more out of interest than necessity.

1. I'm not sure of how many CFU I'm getting from my cider, but it's enough that I get the same effect as taking the capsules, so I guess it's enough.

2. I've done it both ways, but generally use a new cap for each batch.

3. No clue.

FWIW my brew setup for this is extremely lazy, I just have a 64 oz bottle of Treetop three apple blend which I pour out a bit, put in a capsule or two, mix, and use the "loose cap method." I've been toying with the idea of bottling beer and cider, but cold crashing it first, then repitching with s. boulardii, tossing in my priming sugar and bottling for some added GI benefit, or at least some placebo effect.

To follow up, I've been making s. boulardii cider for 3+ years now to great success. It's been extremely beneficial for my gut health. My system has grown to using my standard brewing setup and a corny keg with a tap that I pull off 6 oz to drink a few times a week. Unlike my traditional ciders, I only ferment this until primary is done (2 weeks or so) and keg it with all the lees as the yeast is why I'm drinking this.

To follow up, I've been making s. boulardii cider for 3+ years now to great success. It's been extremely beneficial for my gut health. My system has grown to using my standard brewing setup and a corny keg with a tap that I pull off 6 oz to drink a few times a week. Unlike my traditional ciders, I only ferment this until primary is done (2 weeks or so) and keg it with all the lees as the yeast is why I'm drinking this.

What f.g. does the cider go down to using the s. boulardii? I've been taking a bunch of probiotics lately, then realized I could just repopulate them by brewing.
And how does it taste? Did all of the yeast eventual settle down or stay in solution? I'd imagine if it settled, you'd have to rock the keg before each pour.

Back