Growing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ttdmma1

Reaction score
I know all hops yield different amounts. Has anyone grown their own? And what sort of yield could be expected from a plant?

DocScott

Reaction score
There is a hops growing section in here with tons of great info. I have two second year plants at my house. Last year they grew well but did not produce many hops. Maybe only 1/2 oz dried.

I was talking with a guy last weekend who has some 4 year plants that are producing huge amounts. He said it really takes about 3 years to get to the point where it produces usable quantities. 5 years even better. Results will of course vary on where you are, soil, water, sun, etc.

microbusbrewery

Reaction score
You probably should take a look at the Hops Growing section, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/

I grow my own and it varies from plant to plant and from year to year. Last year was really hot and dry in my area as a result I didn't get much. Other years I've filled five gallon buckets on a daily basis and my dehydrater could barely keep up.

jjw5015

jwbrews on IG
Reaction score
ttdmma1 said:
I know all hops yield different amounts. Has anyone grown their own? And what sort of yield could be expected from a plant?
There is a hops growing forum.

OP
T

ttdmma1

Reaction score
microbusbrewery said:
You probably should take a look at the Hops Growing section, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/

I grow my own and it varies from plant to plant and from year to year. Last year was really hot and dry in my area as a result I didn't get much. Other years I've filled five gallon buckets on a daily basis and my dehydrater could barely keep up.
Awesome! Thanks

growinghops

Reaction score
Depending on variety, maturity, height and conditions, you can easily get half a pound dried hops per plant.