Growing hops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rflem550

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good resource online that discusses growing hops?

I live in eastern North Carolina. Is growing hops out of the question for me because of climate? It's just something I'd like to experiment with...

Sure you can grow hops there, we grow them in Indiana...

go to Fresh Hops website, they have alot of info there, as well as rhizomes.

Hops can be grown just about anywhere. I'm assuming that NC is fairly humid in the summer - I would plant varieties that are mildew resistant. Hops need lots of sun - southern exposures if possible.

This page has the USDA information - including mildew resistance. Read through the info on your desired varieties. Nugget has grown very well for me - as well as Cascade and Centennial.

http://www.freshops.com/usda_hop_desc2.html#21193

I grew 4 different one this year didn't do so well only got to about 8 feet for one and the others less than 3 feet. I was a bit lazy with the watering so I cant complain. I will try again next year. Any one try the commercial fertilizer. The wife seem to think that would help with over worked soil???

Dmay said:
I grew 4 different one this year didn't do so well only got to about 8 feet for one and the others less than 3 feet. I was a bit lazy with the watering so I cant complain. I will try again next year. Any one try the commercial fertilizer. The wife seem to think that would help with over worked soil???

Put some manure on them over the winter. I used some MiracleGro a couple of times. Seems to help.

desertbronze said:
Put some manure on them over the winter. I used some MiracleGro a couple of times. Seems to help.

That's a good idea. Cut the bines back to the ground level. Cover with manure or compost. Then cover it with mulch.

I got a couples ounces this year. It was a bad year. Mildew and grasshoppers did a number on mine.

I live in raleigh and grew 3 varieties of hops this year. just make sure they get lots of sun, and water.

Thanks for all the input people.....I may do a little experiement next year.

galensmitty said:
I live in raleigh and grew 3 varieties of hops this year. just make sure they get lots of sun, and water.

Cool....I'm just east of you in Rocky Mount.

Latest posts

Back