Growing hops with a tree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hermish

Reaction score
I am hoping to plant some hops this year in my backyard, and am trying to think of the best way to give them room to grow. I have a fence on one side, but I don't think that it gets enough sun. I do have a big tree in the middle of the yard that I was thinking I might be able to attach cable to and have the hops planted around the tree and grow up the cables. Has anyone ever done something like this, or have a reason why it wouldn't work? Thanks

Too much shade under the tree, I would think. On the other hand, there are wild hop/blackberry brambles all over the place here. Hops will climb for the sun, they are very good at that.

I agree with david. The canopy of the tree would hinder their growth. The best cones are always at the top in the sunniest spot on my bines. The roots could also be an issue there...

It is some kind of pine tree, so it is tall without a lot of bushy branches so it doesn't make a lot of shade. The roots are one thing that I worried about some. And a good way to attach a cable to the tree, and how high to put it.

Hermish said:
It is some kind of pine tree, so it is tall without a lot of bushy branches so it doesn't make a lot of shade. The roots are one thing that I worried about some. And a good way to attach a cable to the tree, and how high to put it.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. If the bines weave their way into the tree branches, you'll have a big PITA when you want to harvest. Just stick a tall pole in the ground and run some rope up to the top. They can climb that instead...

Back