Growing hops: using my house as a trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
After seeing a few posts about people using their homes as a trellis, I've decided to do the same. I have great space, with 4-6 hours of direct mid-day sun (as well as 4 hours of partial sun), that I'm converting. This side of my house faces south, perfect to follow the sun.

So, I built a couple of hop boxes in order to contain the beasts. I used some 1x6 and made a simple frame for it. Dug down about 10 inches and placed the boxes. Filled em up with top soil/manure mix and transplanted. I think it looks good. I'm very eager to see how the hops take to the new location.

Also, I'm looking for a bit of input here. My siding is aluminum. It does get quite hot in the summer. Anybody think that might cook my plants? I'm hopeful, as long as the hops like it, that the plants will have a cooling effect on the house in the summer. My two bedrooms on that side are usually 5-10 degrees warmer in the summer.

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

I have another box built and ready to go. I'm waiting on my yard waste removal guy to show up so that I can get the other little guys in the ground. Pics to be posted after I can make that happen.

If I may . . . . .
Why did you make a box instead of a full length bed?
Any chance of moving the Forsythia out to the sidewalk/downspout area? This Fall, next Spring? Use ALL that available wall space. :D

I Love your idea of shading the wall with hops. I think the secret is to have some air space between the twine and the wall.

Cheers to you having a great growing year and please keep us in pictures.

'da Kid

If I may . . . . .
Why did you make a box instead of a full length bed?
Any chance of moving the Forsythia out to the sidewalk/downspout area? This Fall, next Spring? Use ALL that available wall space. :D

I Love your idea of shading the wall with hops. I think the secret is to have some air space between the twine and the wall.

Cheers to you having a great growing year and please keep us in pictures.

'da Kid

Looks Great, yes you want some wall space to keep the air moving. Should look good in a month or so.

I'll make sure there is as little contact with the wall as possible. I may end up staking the lines out, away from the wall using some additional twine that's tied off in that grassy area.

The idea behind this little box is simple. My intentions were to find out whether or not this spot will work. If it does, great. I'll extend it next year. If not, no big loss. I've thought about moving the shrub however it's the one nice thing it have in my backyard currently. Maybe next year if all of this goes to plan.

Before you waste a full season, I'd get a book on Hopticulture. Stuff like pH, boron, drainage, pests, etc.
I'd provide a standoff like wood lattice or non-stain wire to keep foliage off hot wall.

I'm also in the middle of building an 8 foot X 8 foot trellis for my back yard. As soon as I get my footings poured and I have the trellis mounted, I'll snap some pictures.

Here's the framed trellis. Not sure whether I want to paint it or keep it natural looking. I'll be placing lattice in it, as well as cap the tops, within the next 2 weeks. Lots of little projects around the house right now that SWMBO has me on. Soon....soon. Also, it turns out I miscalculated my footings' depth. I'm about 1 inch high on the right side. I'll pull the top cross 2x4, trim down the 4x4, then remount it. It's looking great.

IMG_0109.jpg

Steve, Here is something I learned when using lattice. Use the plastic molded one, they come in colors at home depot. I tried the wooden ones and the bines ripped it apart. Also if you leave it natural seal it with something like thompsons water seal. Looks great!

Here's the trellis in the back yard. I'll get some newer photos of my hop varieties when they thicken up a bit more.

trellis.jpg

Steve, Here is something I learned when using lattice. Use the plastic molded one, they come in colors at home depot. I tried the wooden ones and the bines ripped it apart. Also if you leave it natural seal it with something like thompsons water seal. Looks great!

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the cedar lattice because it looks great and smells great, too. I don't intend for the bines to climb in to the lattice itself, but rather the string I tie off to a few eye-hooks in the top of the trellis. I placed 3 hooks and ran 6 lines for the 2 different hops I have back there. I'll grab some pics next week, as I just trained the bines a few days ago. I have not been home in the last week to see them, but I imagine they are taking off with all the sunlight and heat that we've have in Jersey.

Thanks for the advice. I ended up going with the cedar lattice because it looks great and smells great, too. I don't intend for the bines to climb in to the lattice itself, but rather the string I tie off to a few eye-hooks in the top of the trellis. I placed 3 hooks and ran 6 lines for the 2 different hops I have back there. I'll grab some pics next week, as I just trained the bines a few days ago. I have not been home in the last week to see them, but I imagine they are taking off with all the sunlight and heat that we've have in Jersey.

The side arms will find a way to make it between those holes :) Every year my Columbus plant sends side arms into a probably small 2" slit in the bottom of my kitchen window screen and heads up the inside between the screen and glass.

Here are a few pics of my trellis and the house. The hops are very happy where they are. The Cascades are in the blue pots. They're pretty aggressive. The Chinook, in the brown pot, is a bit reserved but I think I'll get great growth next year. The two on the house are Centennial (left) and Goldings (right). The centennial is a monster and is at (around) 14 feet and growing. The goldings is around 8 feet. The others on the trellis, are around 8-10 feet respectively. For references, the bottom of the window is 11 feet.

trellishop1.jpg

trellishops2.jpg

hopstrellis.jpg

happyleaf.jpg

I came back from a long weekend at the shore and found my centennial grew another 5 inches (over 4 days) and I now have visible hop cones. What's the largest first year anybody has grown? I would have been happy with 8-10 feet, but this monster keeps shooting up.

I planned on using the trellis to grow the hops on for the next few seasons, however my first year growth is already way over the top but 3-4 feet. I expect to have them in the ground next year but that only saves me 12-16 inches. Does anybody have options or is this something I should live with?

I planned on using the trellis to grow the hops on for the next few seasons, however my first year growth is already way over the top but 3-4 feet. I expect to have them in the ground next year but that only saves me 12-16 inches. Does anybody have options or is this something I should live with?

Run a line between the top of the trellis and your house. You now have a nice shaded area underneath to hang out, drink, and brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've already pulled about 5 oz of wet hops from the tallest centennial. All of the other plants still need another 2-4 weeks before harvest. Pretty happy considering I didn't expect anything this year.

Back