Growing hops over a deck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr x

Reaction score
I am getting some hop plants this year. I have a back deck that gets lots of sunshine. I was thinking about running the hops up the rails of the deck, adding some extensions to the railing to bring the vertical rise to 10 feet, and then going at an angle over to the roof for another 8 feet.

Does anybody know if I can train the hops to grow at 20 degree incline?

mr x said:
I am getting some hop plants this year. I have a back deck that gets lots of sunshine. I was thinking about running the hops up the rails of the deck, adding some extensions to the railing to bring the vertical rise to 10 feet, and then going at an angle over to the roof for another 8 feet.

Does anybody know if I can train the hops to grow at 20 degree incline?

It takes about 3 days to train them and after that they'll make their way to the sun no matter what. 18 feet in total will be good for the first year or two...

They are going to get major sun, I just didn't know if they would want to go straight up and kind of stop when trying to make them go more horizontal. I'm looking forward to this, I think they'll look really nice, and maybe give me a little shade too.

There's a nursery up here that has 5 strains already started as plants. I'm getting Cascade, Willamette, Nugget and Mt. Hood.

mr x said:
They are going to get major sun, I just didn't know if they would want to go straight up and kind of stop when trying to make them go more horizontal. I'm looking forward to this, I think they'll look really nice, and maybe give me a little shade too.

There's a nursery up here that has 5 strains already started as plants. I'm getting Cascade, Willamette, Nugget and Mt. Hood.

No they won't stop, mine make 2 direction changes...

Back