growing hops on a fence...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Question.
I Live with my girlfriend and her kids at an onsite mini storage place. large house, full large backyard. However, the backyard has 2 taller buildings on each side of it, so it gets limited sun.
However, in the front, we have a stretch of fence that gets constant sun. it's roughly around 50-60' long. 8 feet tall (no barbed wire ontop).

i was thinking, plant the 'zomes in the middle of each stretch (IIRC 8-10' to each pole) and just let them trickle up the chain link...

Would this work? i have approval for the above from management, however, i dont think they would dig a 20' tall anything :)

Cheers!

Sounds workable. The plants will do better if you train them along the top pole once they get that tall.

Bear in mind that hop bines will twine around and through the wires. It may take a flame thrower to clean them off at the end of the season.

thanks dave! flame thrower you say? i like that idea! ;)

Agreed with David. You can certainly train them move horizontally along the fence - wrap clockwise. Just know the hops will want to grow upward, so they'll look kind of bushy along the top when they run out of vertical space.

And I like the flamethrower idea. Definitely necessary.

fwiw, the direction of wrapping really only applies to vertical (or at least near-vertical) runs. The whole "clockwise to follow the sun" doesn't apply to horizontal runs...

Cheers!

The hops will simply grow to the top and then run down the fence following the path of the sun. It will work but bug management might be a little tougher. The hops can get thick making harder to spray for insects.

This is our fenceline in the front yard. Tops off at 6ft. Makes a great privacy fence
dscn0016.jpg

Wow, Central...beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. That's the exact picture I'm hoping for in my backyard someday.

Back