Growing hops in New Hampshire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Looks like Hop Rhizomes are available from some online shops and it got me thinking about starting some hop plants. Maybe just Simcoe and Cascade for starters. The problem is my climate:

Screen%20Shot%202013-01-19%20at%2011.08.44%20AM.png

That's actually a town 15 miles south of me. We get some days -15 degrees in the winter and first snow fall comes in October and melts in May. I maintain a veggie garden and can't plant until late-June due to a sometimes very late freezing temps.

Can I grow my own hops? I know it takes time but are my conditions too poor to start some hop plants?

My two year old hop Chinook, Centennial and Cascade plants have been very productive, and you're only 100 miles or so north of me. If you have an area with really good sun exposure I'd say it's surely worth a try to grow your own, and if you do, make sure to include Cascade in the mix, as that strain seems about as hardy as any...

Cheers!

I'm in Michigan at about the 45th parallel. My hops took off like rockets. They were rhizomes when I planted in pots. Peak, they got about 6 hours of sun during the summer. There were a few trees that blocked a major part of afternoon sunlight. I ended up harvesting around 8 oz total from all 4 plants combine. Not bad for the first year. Now they have root systems and should produce significantly more. As long as you have 6-8 hours of sun, nutrient rich soil, they'll be fine. Good luck.

Back