Growing a SCOBY from store bought Kombucha - really dumb noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucija

Krobucha
Reaction score
Hi, so, this is a dumb newbie question but I won’t know unless I ask. Actually, I have a couple of questions.

I recently purchased a bottle of plain unpasteurized Captain Kombucha (I’m in Croatia) and found one site that specified to use 1 cup of the Kombucha to start my SCOBY—which I did and it started to form little globs to which I added sugar a few days later.

1. Did I make a mistake by not adding tea to the starter Kombucha right away and 2. is it too late to add the tea?

Thanks much.

I just made my own SCOBY for the first time. I mixed the kombucha with a tea and sugar mix. They say you leave the first batch alone until a SCOBY forms, so if you just have the komucha, I would think you could add some tea and sugar to that to help the SCOBY form, you'll most likely be throwing out the first batch anyway. You're going to leave it for longer than normal to let the SCOBY form.

If it looks and smells ok and not moldy, everything is fine.

The solid part doesn't matter. Go ahead and add your culture to a batch whenever you're ready.

Thanks so much for the replies. There is barely anything happening after I added the sugar and disrupted whatever was starting to form. I will go ahead and add the tea and sugar and see what happens.

Back