Ground chicken

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brakeman_Brewing

Reaction score
Got a good deal on some ground chicken at less than 1$ a pound, got a few pounds of it.

Recipe ideas?

You can make 'Burgers'. Add some Sage, White Pepper and a pinch of salt. Grill them up and serve on a Kaiser roll with Blue Cheese, Red Onion and Saute'd Shiitake. Add a side of Fries, a green Salad and some homebrew and you're on your way :D

but he'll eat innards. sorry orfy couldn't resist.;)

add to a multimeat lasagne.

Yup, I'm fussy.

Seriously I stopped eating "cheap" chicken a long time ago because of several issues.
I can't afford the good stuff at $20-30 a pop more than a couple of times a year.
I rarely eat it now.

I had just honestly never seen it before and decided, what the heck. Its cheap. And other than subbing it for ground beef I really couldnt think of what else to use it in.

I almost made the "dog food" suggestion as well but decided against it. Now that orfy has burst that bubble I don't feel so bad, :).

For me chicken is too dry to be used as a ground meat. Much like ground sirloin is to dry on its own to make a good burger. I don't have any specific recipe suggestions but I'd stay away from any dry cooking methods and go for something like chicken enchiladas or any such application that involves a good deal of seasoning and sauce.

If you don't overcook it, it should be fine. You can't let it go very long, just until the point where it cooks through. It has no more/less fat than a breast would.

Seriously I stopped eating "cheap" chicken a long time ago because of several issues.
I can't afford the good stuff at $20-30 a pop more than a couple of times a year.

chickens are the fastest growing meat source. Why are they so spendy over there? I'm afraid to ask what a rib eye steak would cost.

I love this stuff.

Larb Gai - Spicy Thai Chicken Salad Recipe #88611

Spicy Thai chicken salad, with a wonderful variety of flavors and textures. Use fresh herbs in this recipe, dried will not even come close! Use of boneless, skinless chicken and no added oil makes this a very tasty low-fat dish. Source: Somchet Chumpapo
by Tracy K
25 min | 15 min prep
SERVES 4
  1. Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat, no oil necessary.
  2. Add chicken, stir until cooked through.
  3. Remove from heat, drain excess liquid.
  4. Add fish sauce and lime juice.
  5. Toss all together with cilantro, onion, shallots, mint, cayenne, rice powder, and ground chile/garlic paste.
  6. Adjust seasoning to taste.
  7. Serve immediately over lettuce leaves or thinly sliced cabbage.
  8. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

That's half the problem, speed.

I have issues with the production for 6-8 week eaters.

This is typical of the better producers
Do don't want to see the pictures of the poor ones.
428124132_bae331519f.jpg

I will only eat a chicken if I know the producer or have researched them.

Good Ribeye is probably $30-40 a kilo.

I like to make breakfast sausage with ground chicken, specifically thigh meat. If you go 50/50 with pork butt, it's hard to tell the difference from pure-pork sausage.

For 2lbs of ground meat, I add:

2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 teaspoons finely chopped sage leaves
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried savory
1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

After mixing, let it sit at least overnight in the fridge. I make patties and freeze them on wax paper or parchment, and pull one or two out as I need them.

I have to agree with Orfy though, $1/lb scares the hell out of me, particularly for a pre-ground meat product! Who knows what ended up in there. I prefer to buy "family packs" of skinless thighs, and grind them myself. Yeah, they were probably raised in hellish over-crowded conditions, but at least I know there are no beaks and floor sweepings in my sausage!

They were packed like ground pork or sausage rolls and frozen, 1lb is a guesstimate probably less but thats still super cheap regardless.

I hear you guys on the mystery meat deal, haha. Not a normal meat purchase for me by any means. Who knows maybe I got lucky and it will just be carcass without the floor sweepings.

If it is "meat mechanically separated from bone", be prepared for something like liquid baloney. I buy turkey in pucks for my dogs. The first time I bought it for me, but it was way too strange.

Yep, chili.

2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 red onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey or ground chicken (or ground sirloin)
¾ to 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast or precooked fajita chicken breast strips (or cubed beef for stew)
8 oz ketchup (Hunt’s, preferably…or substitute stewed tomatoes if you like them)
12 oz beer (Guinness Stout, or other stout or brown ale)
1 cup brewed coffee (strong… Starbucks Sumatra works well)
12 oz tomato paste
14 oz chicken broth (or beef broth)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin seeds (whole, not ground)
1 tbsp good quality unsweetened cocoa powder (Ghirardelli is best)
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (ground red pepper works)
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp sea salt (Kosher salt or regular table salt works)
4 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained (even better w/ half black beans and half kidney beans)
4 fresh hot chile peppers, seeded and minced (Jalapenos will work too)

Cook meat, onions, and garlic together in oil until meat is done (about 10 mins.).
Throw everything together in a big stock pot. (Drain excess fat first, if using beef.)
Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer over low heat, covered, for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
Best when refrigerated overnight and reheated.
Add a cup of crushed corn chips to thicken, if needed.
(Good w/ corn chips, fresh chopped onion, shredded sharp cheddar, sour cream…)

I like doing tacos with it, and greek burgers (sliced kalamata olives and some crumbled feta).

Made taco meat with it. Chopped garlic and white onion, hot banana pepper from the garden. Diced tomato and green pepper. All browned up with a healthy amount of ground cumin and chili powder served on soft shell tortillas.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone, but I'm sorry this was some nasty meat I should have known better :) . First bite had a nice piece of bone/cartilage, but was able to choke down 1 taco worth. This crap went to the raccoons.

I love this stuff.

Larb Gai - Spicy Thai Chicken Salad Recipe #88611

Spicy Thai chicken salad, with a wonderful variety of flavors and textures. Use fresh herbs in this recipe, dried will not even come close! Use of boneless, skinless chicken and no added oil makes this a very tasty low-fat dish. Source: Somchet Chumpapo
by Tracy K
25 min | 15 min prep
SERVES 4
  1. Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat, no oil necessary.
  2. Add chicken, stir until cooked through.
  3. Remove from heat, drain excess liquid.
  4. Add fish sauce and lime juice.
  5. Toss all together with cilantro, onion, shallots, mint, cayenne, rice powder, and ground chile/garlic paste.
  6. Adjust seasoning to taste.
  7. Serve immediately over lettuce leaves or thinly sliced cabbage.
  8. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.

yum. This will be dinner tonight

Back