Gross stuff floating near the top of my cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I beseech the wisdom of the brew sages once more:

This batch of cider (my 2nd) taste great. However, I'm noticing something very strange in about half of the bottles. There is a clump of something brown and viscous. I was drinking one while playing video games and that little lump felt like snot :(

Could this have anything to do with with the spices I've added? This stuff still taste great, but I have to know what this stuff is and how to avoid it on the next go round...

This occurred in bottling. I carbed with Dark brown sugar, and apple juice concentrate (form the can) . I also added (to much) cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla extract. Don't get me wrong, I love the taste but the spices were a bit to strong for most. I've been able to find a few posts about similar topic and I am wondering if this is connected to poorly dissolved cinnamon and/or spices?

Let me know if a picture would help, as I'll need to grab it from a relatively high shelf to do so...

Back