Grolsch flip tops--more carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerluvva

Reaction score
Starting to drink a batch that I bottled with a mix of 12 oz. crimp caps ad a few grolsch swing tops. The grolsch bottles seem to really pop on opening, and beer has a lot more head (that's what she said) in the glass. Do the swing tops carb better, perhaps due to a better seal from the rubber gasket?

Did you batch prime, or use a different amount of priming sugar for the different size bottles?

Probably just the way the bottles pour. The grolsh bottles can't hold better pressure, you're only talking 12 psi. If the regular bottles couldn't hold 12 they'd be flat.

I think the flip-tops release the pressure faster than caps. Flip tops open almost instantly around the entire perimeter. Caps are pried off; it is a tiny gap that gets larger. Sort of the difference between releasing the pressure of a balloon all at once by popping it, or pushing a pin through the base and letting the air out more slowly. Or like shaking a soda bottle, then opening the cap all at once or slowly easing it open.

Call me silly, but I love opening the cam lock on the Grolsch bottles and waiting for the seal to pop on its own.....

The last grolsch I opened popped so hard the swing thing came off the bottle. Super loud too, like a champagne bottle. Don't think I overprimed, my capped bottles all seemed reasonable.

Probably just the way the bottles pour. The grolsh bottles can't hold better pressure, you're only talking 12 psi. If the regular bottles couldn't hold 12 they'd be flat.

It takes a lot more than 12 psi to carbonate a beer.

At room temperature (70 deg), you need 29 psi to carbonate to 2.5 volumes of CO2, and 37 psi to carbonate to 3 volumes.

Epimetheus said:
I think the flip-tops release the pressure faster than caps. Flip tops open almost instantly around the entire perimeter. Caps are pried off; it is a tiny gap that gets larger. Sort of the difference between releasing the pressure of a balloon all at once by popping it, or pushing a pin through the base and letting the air out more slowly. Or like shaking a soda bottle, then opening the cap all at once or slowly easing it open.

+1 I have open them both ways and have noticed that when you "pop" it open it seems to foam more and when I slowly open them it acts more like a pry top bottle

I'm still a newbie brewer (5 batches), I've been using a combination of screw-top plastic bottles, 750ml swing-tops, and reused glass bottles with a bench capper.

I don't have a side-by-side comparison of swing-top vs capped bottles, but in the batches where I've used mixed bottles I have noticed the swing-tops have noticeably better carbonation and head than the plastic screw-tops.

Been drinking my first batch... used all swing top ez caps on 1 liter bottles. After one week, had decent carbonation, and so I put them in fridge... now I am learning I should keep them at room temp longer to build more carbonation. Haven’t used the pry cap, but I do enjoy opening the ez cap and hearing the “pop”.... even if they aren’t as carved as they should be because I cooled to soon.

Back