Grolsch-esque Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefanM47

Reaction score
5 gal batch

2lbs German Munich Light
2lbs Crystal 15L
3lbs German Pilsner
4lbs Extra Light LME

1 tbsp 5.2 stabilizer

1oz Northern Brewer for 60 mins
1oz Mountain Hood for 30 mins
1oz Czech Saaz for 5 mins

1 Whirlfloc tablet for 5 mins

2 smack packs Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast

My dad really likes Grolsch type lagers and I want to make him a batch. Any suggestions/critiques?

It turned out quite well! I will admit, I made this when I was less experienced. I have since this moved onto all-grain brewing and trying to stick to classic styles and recipes.
This beer is nothing like a grolsch. I didn't really know what I was doing. It turned out an amber color and far more bitter than I was anticipating. If you'd like me to post a recent recipe of a German lager that I did, I'd be more than happy to post it for you!

please do. i have several people who like Grolsch and would like to get something a little close. i wont start experimenting on my own for a while as im just a beginner and want to get fundementals down first. but if i can get a good recipe that would be great

Here ya go! - I converted my all-grain recipe to a partial mash for ya! I added the percent alpha acids of the hops so that you can get as close to the IBU profile as my recipe. Don't feel like you have to get the exact same Alpha acids, but try to get close.

5lbs Extra light DME
1lbs Munich Light
.5lbs Carapils

.5oz Mt. Hood 7.1% alpha acid for 50mins
.5oz Tettnanger 4.8% alpha acid for 20mins
1 whirlfloc tablet for 10mins
1oz Crystal 5.4% alpha acid for 5mins

2 Wyeast 2042 Danish Lager yeast

Put 4.5 gallons into your kettle. Put specialty malts into a bag and let it steep at 155F for at least 30mins. I would suggest maintaining that temp for at more like 45mins, but 30mins should do the trick if you're in a time crunch. After letting it steep, rinse (with 1 gallon of water heated to 170F) and squeeze out every bit of sugar you can from the specialty malts. Remove grains and bring wort to a boil.

Pitch yeast and then slowly cool the carboy to 50F. Let it ferment out (until bubbling in the airlock slows down significantly) then raise to room temperature (I did 68F) for 2-3 days without racking. After letting it sit at room temp for 2-3 days, rack into secondary and cool to 35-40F. Let it lager at that temp (35-40F) for at least a month before kegging or bottling.

Well, good luck! Tell me how it turns out for ya! I sure enjoyed it.

:mug:

Let me also know if I was unclear with any of the instructions. I'm no teacher! Haha

Hey did you end up making the partial mash version of this? If so, how did it turn out?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back