Grolsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring_Chicken

Reaction score
How many volumes of CO2 will Grolsch bottles hold? I have some Chimay Red clone that I'd like to bottle.

Would they hold up to Supplication/corked pressures?

With new seals to prevent losing pressure they should hold up better than standard bottles.

this is speaking from actual experience -

a lot .

I misread instructions on one of my first kits, and primed with 1.5 times the required sugar.

no broken bottles.

belgians shouldn't present you with any issues.

runningweird said:
this is speaking from actual experience -

a lot .

I misread instructions on one of my first kits, and primed with 1.5 times the required sugar.

no broken bottles.

belgians shouldn't present you with any issues.

What's the upper limit for Grolsch bottles? Would you carb to 4.5 volumes in them?

Great responses. Thanks everyone.

I'd still love to know their upper limit. It seems like a swing top might vent it the pressure became too high.

I only use 16oz swing tops for bottling and I have never had an issue, even with highly carbonated brews. They won't vent unless the rubber seal is worn or broken.

I don't know if there is an actual published limit. I do know they are almost as many grams of glass as mL of beer. So with that said they're fairly strong. The only other bottles that meet or exceed that ratio are champagne and other specialty belgian bottles. You have to remember that most import bottles are stronger than domestic bottles because of the long ship ride they make. The containers are all treated the same so they spend more on bottles to not lose product.

What carb level are you looking for bottling in these? I would assume they can take 5 volumes safely. Beyond that you're bottling champange and I bet something would give at that kind of PSI in the bottle. I do not believe there is a formally agreed upon upper limit for these bottles. Just live comfortably they'll take up to 5 most likely. I would still play it safe and put the bottles somewhere easy to clean up and or protective when dealing with those pressures. If you're just looking to do between 3 and 4 vol for something like a high carbed saison, you're fine, I do that all the time.

Yeah, a Saison is about my upper limit of carbonation.

One other question on bottling something at that level - when bottling highly carbonated beverages it seems like using a keg to bottle method might be cumbersome. I'm thinking bottle conditioning or I won't have any fluid in the bottle.

I'd also love to know the true volume. What I do know is that I added sulphate and sulphite to a mead, backsweetened, bottled and still ended up with a highly carbonated, sparkling mead. I was worried about bottle bombs, but didn't have any problems.

Do those of you who bottle highly carbonated beer in used swing-top bottles ever consider the age or provenance of the bottle?

I would never bottle a gueuze with 4 volumes of CO2 in a cracked or obviously distressed bottle (not that I've made a gueuze; I've only been brewing for 1 year). Still, I wonder if I should think twice before bottling in Fischer or Grolsch or E-Z Cap bottles that have been sitting in my buddy's garage for a decade, and that might have been used a hundred times over by HIS buddy before him.

What's the common standard for this? If the bottle appears in good shape and the seal is new, go ahead and use it for your Saison?

I appreciate this discussion, and your help.

Back