Grolsch 32 oz Bottle Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredTheNuke

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to bottle, carb and age a Belgian style beer in the below pictured 32 oz Grolsch EZ cap flip top bottles? Are they capable of sustaining the pressure (both the glass bottle and the cap) of a Belgian that is typically in a corked bottle?

Nevermind - now that I ask I find Revvy's post in the sticky with the max bottle pressure ratings:

FYI Northern Brewer has an amazing resource on bottling/carbing including a section on "advanced" carbonation techniques.So this post is all about various odd ways to carb including using fruit juice, flavored syrups and whatever else you can think of.

Northern Brewer's PDF

This is a good primer on bottles and their pressure.

BOTTLE TYPES AND PRESSURE
Most of the bottles you will use will be the standard 12oz bottle. These are
suitable for the vast majority of styles but we don’t suggest you use them
for beers with over 3 volumes of CO2. Below is a chart based on CO2 volume
and suggested bottle usage. These are approximate guidelines and demand
that the bottles be free of cracks or chips.
BOTTLE:VOLUME CHART
Bottle type
Volume/Max. CO2

12oz 3
33cl Belgian 3.5
500ml European 3.5
Swing top 4
Champagne 7
PET 10
Kegs can be used in the place of bottles and should be treated exactly like
a large bottle. A lot of commercial brewers prime in bulk and then counter
pressure fill at bottling.

Someone bumped a thread from 2005, and this was one of the posts, some great info on priming sugars.

I routinely bottle in 1L and 2L swingtops. I haven't done a belgain, but I treat them exactly the same as my 12, 16, and 22oz bottles.

One piece of advice I can give is make sure your gaskets are new. The higher pressure can sometimes push the ceramic top up allowing the gas to escape.

The company responded to an email I had out to them. They are tested to 120psi (8 atm) before the rubber gasket tends to slip. A Belgian will hit about 60psi with 3.5 atm of priming sugar and Brett action on it. Just need to ensure my priming sugar calculations are spot on to avoid a bottle bomb.

Back