Quantcast

Grodziskie/Gratzer Water Profile

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

WinterWarlock

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Grodziskie (6 gallon batch) and I can't help but notice my residual alkalinity is coming in at -291, a value that doesn't seem desirable. I've added just enough salts to meet the minimum recommended ppm for calcium, etc. I've also added 6 ml of lactic acid to the drop the pH to 5.49. I understand wheat malt has a higher pH than barley, which is why I'm going a little heavy on the lactic acid. I'm not sure if the Weyermann Oak Smoked Wheat I'm using has a significantly different pH value than standard wheat malt, but for now I'll assume it's relatively close. Am I on the right track? Here's what I'm working with:
G1.PNG
G2.PNG

Vale71

Reaction score
Seems about right considering that you have a rather thin mash. The thinner the mash the higher the resulting mash PH which will in turn require larger additions to bring it down. If it's technically possible for you I'd mash in thicker and increase sparge water which will also result in higher efficiency.
If you have the original Weyermann 25kg sack you can download the COA for that malt lot and use actual mash PH instead of the stock value from the software.