Grilling Tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
It is our 5th +100F day in a row. Three have been over 102F. No way in hell am I cooking anything in the house tonight.

Tonight's menu: burgers, dogs, tots and corn on the cob. All on the grill.

I never thought about doing up tots on the grill, but I'm going to try it this weekend for sure! Thanks for the idea! Tomorrow I'll start marinating my pork steaks; 24 hrs in a pineapple/teriyaki marinade does wonders for pig. Bacon wrapped shrimp kabobs & a variation on Steven Raichlin's BBQ onions, with grilled pears for dessert. Wash it all down with a tasty brown ale. I love to grill!
Regards, GF. :mug:

Grilled tots. sounds... delicious.

GF, while it sounds delicious, isnt 24 hours in a marinade with such sweet pineapple flavor too much on the sweet side? I am a bit of a meat purist and rarely marinate anything other than chicken, and tend to go for spicy over sweet.

Think I may have to throw a Vidalia or Georgia Sweet onion on the grill tonight with some ribs and corn now that you all got me hungry.

That sounds hot!

Charcoal or gas?

Gas. I sincerely believe my are ancestors laughing at me whenever I try to start a fire with wood or charcoal. Besides, I like the instant heat.

I put the tots in a small pan on the top shelf, basically treating the grill like an oven. It took 20 minutes at about 450F to cook half a bag.

And thanks for reminding me I have 4.5lbs of chicken in the freezer I can thaw out for tonight.

Grilled tots. sounds... delicious.

GF, while it sounds delicious, isnt 24 hours in a marinade with such sweet pineapple flavor too much on the sweet side? I am a bit of a meat purist and rarely marinate anything other than chicken, and tend to go for spicy over sweet.

Think I may have to throw a Vidalia or Georgia Sweet onion on the grill tonight with some ribs and corn now that you all got me hungry.

While it is on the sweet side, it's not too sweet for me. Everyone who's tried it so far has liked it. I make my own marinade, but I start with Kikkoman teriyaki marinade. I add a quart of pineapple juice to 1 bottle of the Kikkoman, along with about 1/2 a bottle of low sodium soy sauce. I like to add a couple dashes of mesquite liquid smoke too.

I find that 24 hrs is the max amount of time to marinate, at least with this marinade; any more & the texture of the meat begins to degrade. Sometimes I'll marinate for less time, usually because I just have less time.

Now the secret to getting these marinated pork steaks to pop is to grill 'em slow & brush them with dark sesame oil for the last few minutes.
You can certainly add spices if you want, I've used chipotle chili powder before, I've also added a spoonful of rooster sauce to the marinade; both worked well for me.

It's a pretty versatile & forgiving marinade, you can change it up almost any way you want & it'll still come out tasty.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Finally have some time at home. Got 10 gallons of Hefe chillin to pitch temp and some filet's from a neighbor's side of beef that will be grilled tonight.

It's good to be back grillin & brewin.

That sounds hot!

Charcoal or gas?

dale_gribble_and_hank_hill-4184.png

"While char-coal imparts a smokey flavor to the meat, clean burning propane is less likely to interfere with your beer drinking. If you are going to use char-coal, have the boy monitor the fire for heat and flare-ups."

Finally have some time at home. Got 10 gallons of Hefe chillin to pitch temp and some filet's from a neighbor's side of beef that will be grilled tonight.

It's good to be back grillin & brewin.

Nice to "see" you again, Ed! It's been a long time.

I have some beef cut into strips and marinading right now. We're doing a grill basket with potatoes (LOVE grilled potatoes!!!!), veggies and those strips of meat.

It hasn't been very hot here, but today it's near 80 so we're going to go out on the boat, drink some beer, and then grill. I have my Fizzy Yellow Beer on tap here at the cottage, and it's finally warm enough outside to want to drink it!

It is our 5th +100F day in a row. Three have been over 102F. No way in hell am I cooking anything in the house tonight.

Tonight's menu: burgers, dogs, tots and corn on the cob. All on the grill.

Tots... as in Tater? If so, do tell! Put some aluminium foil down and do it on there?
Having to work today (booo!) but plan on grilling tonight once I get home. Just throwing some brats on the grill.

dale_gribble_and_hank_hill-4184.png

"While char-coal imparts a smokey flavor to the meat, clean burning propane is less likely to interfere with your beer drinking. If you are going to use char-coal, have the boy monitor the fire for heat and flare-ups."

"Propane.........God's gas." -----Hank Hill

"My dad says butane's a bastard gas." -----Bobby Hill

Tots... as in Tater? If so, do tell! Put some aluminium foil down and do it on there?
Having to work today (booo!) but plan on grilling tonight once I get home. Just throwing some brats on the grill.

Put the tater tots in a small baking dish on the top rack of the grill. My grill has a thermometer on it. The lowest setting with all the burners on is about 400F. So I turned the knobs just a tad higher and it was the recommended 450F baking temp. In 20 minutes, they were nice and crispy. Then I dusted them quickly with some Goya Adobo.

image.jpg

I made some spent grain pretzel burger buns,wife made her black beans & adobo sauce,& some oriental cole slaw with ramen noodles,sunflower kernals & cashews in some great smelling sauce. Gotta fire up the grill for pit bbq'd italian sausage & burgers with chedder for those pretzel buns. Got some Maori IPA in the fridge to wash it down with.
*Here's apic of the buns,hot outta the oven;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001_zpsbd329434.jpg.html] [/URL]
The buns were very finely textured & looked like light rye inside.You could taste the UK Grains in'em too. just like soft pretzels. And they don't squish into soggy paper when handled & eaten. always a bonus. Their flavor mingled well with the spices & smokiness of the burgers.

I grilled some hotdogs and cheeseburgers last night at the in-laws. Caramelized some onions for the burgers and roasted a head of garlic to spread on the toasted buns. It was really good. I didn't have access to my kegerator so I brought a bottle of ommagange whit

Grilled chicken gyros(no I'm not Greek) with homemade cucumber sauce ( will not attempt to spell ).
Marinade chunks of chicken breast in olive oil and balsamic for about 2 hours. Skewer and grill, then dust with Greek seasoning (screaming hot gas grill olive oil causes great flare ups). Toothpick then slice sweet onion and throw right on the grill. Serve with cucumber, tomato and grilled onion in pittas with sauce. Kalamata olives with feta on the side if desired.
If you don't like Greek use salt and pepper and just cook the chicken that way, you won't be disappointed!

please send more info about the pretzel buns.... wife is on an unholy sprouted grain diet and the rest of the family is seeking some real bread treats..... please send help... SOS... Sos... sos.......... sos.....................

Guess I could list the recipe here too. I posted it in a 4th of july thread in beginners forum. These should give you the fix you need...
*Spent grain pretzel buns*
** Makes 12 burger rolls**
2C warm water (looking back,3C would've made a softer dough)
2 packets of dry yeast
5C regular flour
1C spent grain flour (I used a Mr Coffee burr grinder on espresso setting for med fine flour)-used oven dried IPA grains
2TBSP sugar
4tsp course kosher (sea) salt,more for sprinkling
For the boil-
5C water
1C to 1-12oz bottle beer
1/4C baking soda (gives pretzel texture)
4) Remove dough from mixer. Form into a ball & place in oiled bowl (I use peanut oil),turning once to completely coat. Rise 30 minutes covered with damp towel.
5) Turn dough out onto floured surface & kneed one minute. Divide dough into 4ths,then divide each 4th into 3rds. Carefully roll dough into balls,leaving no folds or creases,as these will spill open like lava flows as they rise. Balls should look like well rounded mushroom caps for best finished shape. Place them on oiled sheet. Cover & let rise a 2nd time until desired burger bun size is acheived.
6) Pre-heat oven to 425F. Bring water & beer to a boil in a pot that's at least 2 gallons,as the baking soda addition foams up like a mad hot break when added to the boiling liquid.
7) When rolls have risen,add baking soda to the boil. stir in well. Liquid will clear again when it does. Using a slotted spoon,boil rolls 2 minutes per side.
8) Transfer to oiled baking sheet scored side up. Sprinkle with course sea salt & bake 12 minutes.
**These pretzel buns come out with a very fine texture with the color of light rye (light brown). Springy & chewy,but easy to bite through,just like big soft pretzels. The flavor is kinda like rye with this golden brown bready flavor from the beer grains I used. These definitly will not squish when handled & eaten. The flavor of them mixes very well with pit bbq'd meat. If you're going to take the time to bbq somethin good to put in a bun,why not go the extra mile & make these?!:rockin:
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001_zpsbd329434.jpg.html] [/URL]

Because of the great Japanese BBQ place on St. Marks I have learned that a few off the beaten path things are amazing on the grill.

Some favorites:

Scallions!
Smelt
Whole squid (ponzu sauce optional)
Quail eggs (boiled, skewerd, and then grilled. Lovely)
chili peppers with olive oil and sea salt
"Texas Onions"
chicken hearts with lime juice and sea salt (sweet googly moogly)
Chicken butt triangles

Back