Greetings from Central PA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JagerSteve

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself.

My name is Steve, known as Jäger Steve because of my liquor of choice.

I am new to the world of homebrew. I always wanted to try it, and finally pulled the trigger almost a month ago. I treated myself to my initial brew gear for my 40th birthday.

I have started with the Brewers Best Equipment kit with the glass 5 gallon secondary carboy, and also splurged on a Bayou Classic Banjo cooker to be able to brew outside, and much faster than my electric stove. Also, a big 'ol 32 oz. of StarSan. Went ahead and purchased 2 cases of 12oz amber bottles, Then just before bottling day, I purchased that squirty sulphiter (sphincter? lol) thing to help with sanitizing.

For my first batch, I went with one of the Brewers Best kits, their Imperial Pale Ale (IBUs: 65-69 ABV 8.0% - 8.5%). Nice kit, complete, good instructions, and if you can read and follow directions, there is no reason for it to fail.

So I did about 6 days in the primary, then racked to the secondary for 2 weeks, then racked to a bottling bucket with priming sugar, bottled and capped with some Carlson caps with a Hop printed on them.

My only quirk, I guess between multiple rackings, I ended up short of the 50 or so bottle estimate... My finished was 43, but it did already look nice and clear when bottling, and will probably improve more in time while bottle conditioning.

Well, after that experience, I have decided that bottling sucks. Sure, it's nice for transport and gifting, so I'll keep my gear for that just in case... But now, next step... keezer.

For my kegging, I was able to find and purchase 4 cornys, they were coke originally, pin lock. Guy even threw in new o rings for all 4. Only downside is that the lids are static PRV, not manual... So I don't know if it is worth replacing the lids with new ones with manual PRV's, or just vent thru the gas pin if needed (maybe even make up a gas pinlock connection with a valve to vent manually? cheaper than replacing 4 lids?).

Yesterday, I was able to purchase a Holiday 7 cubic foot chest freezer in like new shape locally for $75. It easily holds 3 cornys, with room on the shelf for the tank.

Currently in my Amazon cart is an INKBIRD ITC controller for the keezer, I'm just trying to decide on faucets.

I'm thinking of 3, since my plan for the 4th corny was to use as a transfer tank if I want to filter, and also use it as a sanitizing tank, rig it with fittings and a pump to circulate and sanitize the draft lines.

Also, quick back story, my brother in law and myself did a stout draft fridge kegerator a few years back for the ever popular big G. It's no longer in use, but is complete.... it is setup with the Euro keg coupler, 75/25 beer gas tank and regulator... So I may replace the keg coupler with pin lock fittings, so then I can properly dispense stout.

So I'm looking at 3 "standard" faucets, CO2 tank, regulator, manifold, lines, then a 4th stout nozzle with it's own tank, regulator, lines.

I don't need to really add height to the keezer now to try to squeeze another keg on the shelf, so I can just use 2x4's for a collar. There is enough room on the side with the compressor box that I can just cut a hole and install and hardwire the controller... no need for a project box and extra parts.

Other than than, I was just laid off, CNC Machinist by trade, and I do vinyl graphics and lettering on the side (The Decal Spot on Facebook). I enjoy guns, shooting, ride a Harley, and spending time with my 3 sons.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge here as I continue to grow as a home brewer.

Sláinte! :mug:

-Steve

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

Sounds like you have a fantastic start. I learned mostly with Brewer's Best kits, good beers. After some experience there, I would highly recommend you look at BIAB brewing, not costly but a great way to do all grain.

Back