Greetings from Amboise, France (a couple pics from Paris)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
We're off to dinner soon, but hi everyone. We're checked into our hotel in Amboise. We stayed in Paris one night, at a fabulous hotel in the middle of town. Our room looked across the street at the Paris Pantheon, and usually goes for $450/night; somehow the wife got it for $107. Wow! Talk about a deal. Everyone was very nice in Paris, too, and almost everyone spoke Anglais. Anyway, here's the view from our window while in Paris:

grandshommes1.jpg

And here's the Pantheon from the front, at night:

pantheon.jpg

Cheers!

Cool!!! Glad you're having fun...

But what about the beer?

(do they even drink beer in France? They must at least drink it when they're eating "Freedom Fries."):D

Pay no attention to Evan! everyone.... this is just another sad attempt by him to post ho- making us read his posts by trying to post something interesting. This time, he's even using pretty pictures. :rolleyes:

As if we're all fooled by it... Will he never give up?

j/k... Looks great!!!!! Very cool. Lots of good history there, for sure! Enjoy your trip!!! :tank:

Glad to hear you made it. Nice pictures. Sounds like swmbo really did some good work getting that room so cheap. Enjoy the vaca.

Wow you're in France? Get the hell off HBT and go soak up some culture (and delicious cheese)! Enjoy it man...:mug:

Wee Wee, Monsooer! Say Hi to the Garkon for me and have him bring you a nice bottle of red wine from the Chateau nuf de pape region.

Revvy said:
(do they even drink beer in France? They must at least drink it when they're eating "Freedom Fries."):D

My hotel had Heineken in the vending machines last time I was there, so there's that. :D

Hey, I just went out and had my first beer in France for dinner. A relatively local light brew on "pression". It was not bad at all, a honey-tasting lager, very similar to my own Pilsmead. Yay! Went very well with the duck. Anyway...back from dinner (we're 6 hours ahead of EST), and I thought I'd post some more pics. Enjoy. We walked about 13 miles yesterday...from the hotel, to Notre Dame, down to the Eiffel Tower, then back. Whew!

Wonderful architectural detailing at Notre Dame:

nd3.jpg

nd4.jpg

nd5.jpg

nd2.jpg

the louvre:

louvre.jpg

and brilliant metal sculpture---the Arc du Triomphe lies beyond...

rust.jpg

Now to Amboise. The Pont du General Leclerc across the Loire into Amboise, by night:

pontgeneralleclerc.jpg

Had dinner, took a right out of the restaurant door, and see the Chateau:

victorhugochatea.jpg

That's the corner of the Chateau...it's getting dark.

amboisechateaucorner.jpg

E+S on Rue Victor Hugo:

E_S-victorhugo.jpg

G'night all. This little town is truly beautiful!

Great pics. I didn't think the French were nice to Americans. I am glad to hear differently. It looks like you are having a great time!!

mrk305 said:
Great pics. I didn't think the French were nice to Americans.

They're only unfriendly to Americans who expect them to know English (aka ********). If you try to speak French, they're much more helpful...

mrk305 said:
Great pics. I didn't think the French were nice to Americans. I am glad to hear differently. It looks like you are having a great time!!

Yeah, it's a myth. We came in with a good attitude, so that helps. I think that they're only rude to you if you're rude to them. If you make any attempt to speak a bit of French, they're grateful and even more willing to help. Even here in Amboise where most people seem to speak very little or no English, people have been very nice.

Goddamn, can't we ever get a break from you? Here we are thinking we can have some peace and quiet and you HAD to get wifi from your hotel!!!

Just kidding man! Those pictures are wonderful, keep em coming! I hope you're having a wonderful time.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Have you found a Walmart yet?

I would die if you took a pic.....

lol

Great looking pics. You lucky bastard

oh finally something to make me laugh!

France is fun there was this awesome resturant called 'Spicy' when we were there right near the Champs-Élysées (yes I had to google it for spelling) that had great food and a hot waitstaff....man was I effed up that night, woo woot!

my SWMBO would be pissed if we were in Paris and she saw that I was on here! haha Not pissed per'se but would inform me of my addiction/problem in a sarcastic manner!

IrregularPulse said:
my SWMBO would be pissed if we were in Paris and she saw that I was on here! haha Not pissed per'se but would inform me of my addiction/problem in a sarcastic manner!

when you're in France for 2 weeks, you need some down time in the hotel room, believe me. Either way, I'm not talking about beer anyhow---just posting pics as promised :D

Speaking of which...

More pictures.

Bonsoir!

IrregularPulse said:
I guess 2 weeks would merit some online time. Didn't realize you were there for so long. Enjoy. business or pure vacation?

Vacation. Well, we're "researching" for our wine bidness, and we plan to write it off as such, but it's mainly vacation. It's hard to consider drinking wine "business", but alas.

Evan! said:
It's hard to consider drinking wine "business", but alas.

No worries man. My temporary boss is going to Napa soon on "business". Its a tough job, but somebodys gotta do it...

Back