Greetings from a California Beekeeper and Farmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsMushroom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Glad to see there's a forum for asking my Mead questions. I have 5 brews under my belt (4 being good enough to share :)). So far, we've had a lot of fun. My first year was all about using different honey in a traditional Water, Honey, yeast (+ Nutrient & Energizer) to see how the starting honey affects the taste. What a diffence each honey makes! Cheers everyone!

Welcome to the community, quite a few mead makers here. Big question, is your honey Orange Blossom Honey? I'm a super fan of it. I think it makes the best melomels by far. Took a first place ribbon once with a Mandarin Orange Melomel made with, you guessed it, Orange Blossom Honey. Time is you meads beastie. While some are indeed good while young aging does wonders. I've made several that simply weren't very tasty young but after aging a year or more they became delicious.

Cheers!

Thank you for the welcome and advice to use Orange Blossom Honey. We just have wildflower honey but I have used several base honeys to see what each will do after fermentation. I do have several pounds of Orange blossom honey which really seems like a mead favorite to try out. So far I've tried Toyon Honey (bland), Lotus Honey (awesome) and wildflower (so far so good). The Lotus Honey is hard to find but is super sweet and made a lovely mead w/10.4 ABV. I can't wait to explore the Orange blossom honey along with the famous recipe from this website ....I think it's called Johns Ancient Mead.

Thanks

Back