Green Taste - Pellet Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgreenside

Reaction score
So as the title suggests, I have what I believe is a green taste to my beer, but I've never had a beer turn out green before (at least that I noticed) so I'm not exactly sure that's what's happening or if I messed up.

I made a Porter, second time I've made the recipe, but I tweaked it slightly to adjust it more to where I wanted it to be.

The difference this time was that the HBS didn't have leaf, so I used pellet hops, and I don't filter my beer going into the fermenter, so all the pellet gunk goes to the bottom (which I've done before in my extract brewing days, but never noticed strong hop flavor due to it).

Beer fermented 1/18 - 1/24, moved to garage for cold crash in primary (don't swap to secondary any more) and left there until last night.
OG 1.058
FG 1.017
Which is what I expected.

I force carbed the beer and then took a sample, and the smell right away smells like when you open up the bag of pellet hops and take a big whiff, and you get a strong flavor of those hops as well. It's not overwhelming, it's not like an IPA flavor or smells, it's literally like the bag of pellets before they go in. I'm assuming that it's just because I didn't strain out the pellet gunk, and that some time in the keg will let it mellow out, but hoping for a little reassurance on that :)

It's not a bad beer by any means, it's actually really good, I just want to be able to submit it to a competition that's coming up (have to have the bottles submitted by 2/8, tasted on 2/16) so I'm worried that either A) The smell/flavor won't subside in time or B) The smell/flavor won't go away at all. I just don't want to submit something that I feel isn't right and definitely could be better.

Hoping my Milk Stout doesn't suffer the same consequence as this porter, since I did the same thing with pellet hops rather than leaf x.x

Mt Hood 1.75 Oz at 45min
Mt Hood .25 Oz at 10 min

6.9% alpha (according to the bag they were in)

IBU should be around 36.6 based on my recipe

I've never used them, however a quick search showed a few posts where the flavor is often described as earthy and grassy.

Most hop flavors tend to smooth out and mellow after a decent period of conditioning.

bosco

6 days of fermenting and then cold crashed? I'd say your yeast weren't done cleaning up the intermediate products and you are noticing the "green beer" or unfinished ferment. Yeast don't always act the same and if you had done this beer before with only 6 days in the fermenter and got no green beer flavor, you were extremely lucky. I leave my beers in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks so the yeast can finish the job. My time might be more than necessary but I haven't had a green taste since I started doing it that way.

6 days of fermenting and then cold crashed? I'd say your yeast weren't done cleaning up the intermediate products and you are noticing the "green beer" or unfinished ferment. Yeast don't always act the same and if you had done this beer before with only 6 days in the fermenter and got no green beer flavor, you were extremely lucky. I leave my beers in the fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks so the yeast can finish the job. My time might be more than necessary but I haven't had a green taste since I started doing it that way.

My goal was to follow my recipe exactly as I had done it before, as my first porter was my first all grain and it turned out so much better than my extracts ever did, I didn't want to change much of anything :)
But yeah, my first one I did 6 days fermented, 4 days cold crash, and it turned out very well.

Used S-05 for both, washed the yeast from the first porter to make the second, but I see what you're saying for sure about not leaving it and that it can be different for each batch.

So even though the beer didn't age long enough properly before cold crashing and kegging, it will eventually subside and clean up?

6 days of fermenting and then cold crashed? I'd say your yeast weren't done cleaning up the intermediate products and you are noticing the "green beer" or unfinished ferment.

^^ this!

I also question the attenuation - 1.058-1.017. That FG is a bit high, IMO.

It will "condition out" in time, but instead of waiting for it to do so in the bottle/keg, let it sit longer in the primary before cold crashing.

^^ this!

I also question the attenuation - 1.058-1.017. That FG is a bit high, IMO.

It will "condition out" in time, but instead of waiting for it to do so in the bottle/keg, let it sit longer in the primary before cold crashing.

Interesting...

I just followed my Beersmith recipe, I think for a porter the numbers are a little off, but I've got my style guide comparison set to American Stout, and everything seems to have fallen in line. OG/FG was supposed to be 1.059/1.018 according to BS, and I hit 1.058/1.017, so I thought I was right on target.

Well, hopefully it's conditioned out enough for the competition...it's going to get bottled tonight and then will sit in the bottle until tasted on the 16th...should be enough time, I hope!

Back