Green Oktoberfest? Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, I have been lurking around on this website for such great tips and want to thank everyone in advance for their contribution. Last thursday about 8 days ago i brewed an Oktoberfest with white labs lager liquid yeast. My temperatures have been around 64-70 F in my basement. It seems my beer seeme to be green. But i dont understand since before I pitched my liquid yeast it was dark and black like an oktoberfest should be. I just hope its not an infection. As soon as I learn how to post pictures to this app through my android I will. Thank you all for your input.

I have never heard of an infection turning a beer green. Possibly pellet hops debris being stirred up by fermentation? I would like to see a green beer (not caused by food coloring)

You're fermenting you octoberfest with lager yeast at ale temperatures? That's what it sounds like, but I just wanted to be sure. Most people would ferment a lager strain at 50 degrees.

In any case, even fermenting 20 degrees warmer than optimum won't turn it green, so it must be hops debris or something in there that is making the green color.

Is it the beer or the krausen that's green? I will often get green hop residue/particles in the krausen. That's no problem. If it's actually the beer, not sure, but here are some ideas -

1 - cold crash to get the green stuff to fall out
2 - smell the beer to see if it's infected
3 - save it for March and serve it as a St. Patty's day beer

Back