Green hop flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keke

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just brewed my first NEIPA and I put a lot of hops in it (12 oz in 5.5 gallon batch).
I noticed a "green" hop flavor, like if you just tasted raw hop pellets.
I dry hopped once during early fermentation and once more in the keg.
The beer is quiet young (about 2 weeks) so I'm thinking maybe that's the reason.
What do you guys think?
Does this flavor go away over time?
Should I take out the hop bag in the keg?
I really appreciate any comments!

What hops are you using? Some hops just have that 'peel the enamel from your teeth' character, especially in dry hopping. Everything will mellow with time, so I wouldn't worry too much.

What hops are you using? Some hops just have that 'peel the enamel from your teeth' character, especially in dry hopping. Everything will mellow with time, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Mosaic, Citra, Amarillo and Kohatu. Thanks for your comment!

Sounds like a potent mix! Give it some time to mellow out and cold condition. I bet it'll be just fine.

Some of my NEIPAs need up to 2 weeks before they lose that grassy note. Once they carb up they mellow.

It’s not the amount of hops. I just recently kegged a 15oz recipe using citra, mosaic and galaxy. I’d be suspecting of actual hop particulates. A good cold crash and gently racking off the top without sucking up hops helps a ton.

It may be the dual action of still suspended hop particles because the beer is just 2 weeks old and the mosaic. Lots of people love mosaic but some of us taste them differently (phenotypic variability?) and perceive a harsh vegetal bitterness that is just short of nasty. I'm thinking you must like mosaic, since it is in your recipe, and your beer just needs clearing and aging. You may be pulling lots of sediment with the first few beers from the keg which will definitely make the beer taste harsh until it runs clear.

Fyi - I've had decent luck just leaving the hop sack in the keg...

Hop particles in suspension will defintely emhance the green hop matter/vegetal matter taste. I've tried Mosaic a few times and although I like it, for my tastes, it needs to be used in restrained amounts, at least in the way I'm brewing.

But if you keg, just give it some time. Maybe like 1-2 weeks and try it again. But as mentioned above, some people are more proned to taste the vegetal / green matter than others.

Back