Green Flash West Coast IPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaBurgandy

Reaction score
This was a "mini mash" recipe so I'm wondering how I ended up so much higher.

Here's the recipe:
2.66lb Marisotter 2-row (mashed at 150F for 90mins)
14oz. 20degL American crystal malt
7.5lb muntons E-L DME

and that's it for the fermentables.

So the OG was supposed to turn out at 1.076 I ended up with 1.080 :eek:
And yes I adjusted for temp when measuring my SG

I'm using white labs WLP001 and thinking I'm about to put a blowoff on it because its going nuts!

You didn't say what your batch size was. Assuming 5 gal into fermentor, brewersfriend says an expected OG of 1.073.

An actual OG of 1.080 is not that much higher than the target, especially given the variations in crush, in volume measurement, in extract quality, and in boil temps (at least in my somewhat limited experience).

curtw said:
You didn't say what your batch size was. Assuming 5 gal into fermentor, brewersfriend says an expected OG of 1.073. An actual OG of 1.080 is not that much higher than the target, especially given the variations in crush, in volume measurement, in extract quality, and in boil temps (at least in my somewhat limited experience).

+1 ^

Just normal variability for a home brewer. If you want commercial brewing consistency, you have to use commercial brewing quality controls.

You didn't say what your batch size was. Assuming 5 gal into fermentor, brewersfriend says an expected OG of 1.073.

An actual OG of 1.080 is not that much higher than the target, especially given the variations in crush, in volume measurement, in extract quality, and in boil temps (at least in my somewhat limited experience).

Thanks! Yeah it was a 5ga batch I guess I was just surprised because I'm used to coming up a little short on OG maybe I just finally nailed my mash haha!

Back