Green Flash West Coast AG - Altered for Equipment Limitations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goofiefoot

Reaction score
I would like to replicate the Jamil Clone for the Green Flash West Coast IPA and brew a total of 12 gallons. I mash in a 50qt Igloo Cube, and boil in a 15 gallon MegaPot. If I mash with my typical 2qt/lb, I'm WAY over capacity in both. Instead, I'd like to mash as much as possible, then fill in with a late-addition of light LME to hit OG.

So, I've plugged in the following to BeerAlchemy (keep in mind this is doubling the 6-gallon recipe):

17lb US 2-row
2.62lb Caramel 40L
2.62lb CaraPils

8lb Light LME (10 mins)

Knowing that the IBUs are affected by the initial "light" mash:

.50oz Simcoe (90 mins)
.50oz Simcoe (60 mins)
.50oz Columbus (60 mins)
.50oz Simcoe (30 mins)
.50oz Columbus (30 mins)
1.50oz Simcoe (15 mins)
1.50 oz Columbus (15 mins)
2.00 oz Cascade (10 mins)
1.00oz Simcoe (1 min)
1.00oz Columbus (1 min)
1.00oz Amarillo (DH)
1.00oz Centennial (DH)
1.00oz Columbus (DH)
1.00oz Simcoe (DH)
.50oz Cascade (DH)

As per BeerAlchemy, this should give me my targeted OG, FG, and IBU.

What is the actual volume of 8lbs of LME? Given that volume, I can correctly calculate my mash and sparge volumes to compensate.

Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!

I'd lower your qt/lb. ratio and mash in more if you could. I've gotten 28 pounds in my 48 qt. cooler at 1.25 qt/lb. As for your brew kettle, there's really not a good way to boil less. I think what you are proposing sounds ok, provided you added up all your numbers correctly.

I would like to replicate the Jamil Clone for the Green Flash West Coast IPA and brew a total of 12 gallons. I mash in a 50qt Igloo Cube, and boil in a 15 gallon MegaPot. If I mash with my typical 2qt/lb, I'm WAY over capacity in both. Instead, I'd like to mash as much as possible, then fill in with a late-addition of light LME to hit OG.

So, I've plugged in the following to BeerAlchemy (keep in mind this is doubling the 6-gallon recipe):

17lb US 2-row
2.62lb Caramel 40L
2.62lb CaraPils

8lb Light LME (10 mins)

Knowing that the IBUs are affected by the initial "light" mash:

.50oz Simcoe (90 mins)
.50oz Simcoe (60 mins)
.50oz Columbus (60 mins)
.50oz Simcoe (30 mins)
.50oz Columbus (30 mins)
1.50oz Simcoe (15 mins)
1.50 oz Columbus (15 mins)
2.00 oz Cascade (10 mins)
1.00oz Simcoe (1 min)
1.00oz Columbus (1 min)
1.00oz Amarillo (DH)
1.00oz Centennial (DH)
1.00oz Columbus (DH)
1.00oz Simcoe (DH)
.50oz Cascade (DH)

As per BeerAlchemy, this should give me my targeted OG, FG, and IBU.

What is the actual volume of 8lbs of LME? Given that volume, I can correctly calculate my mash and sparge volumes to compensate.

Any feedback is always appreciated. Thanks!
You have plenty of room in your cooler, you can get 30# of grain in there using 1.25 quarts per pound, but a post boil volume of 12 gallons will be a stretch, I would suggest an 11 gallon batch post boil, that will leave plenty of room to boil in your 15 gallon boiler, good luck whatever you decide.:mug:

Back