Green flash hop head red clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBMbrewer

Reaction score
This is one of my favorite beers and I would love to get a clone that is close.
I pieced this together from a bunch of different sources. I went with the ingredients and amounts that seemed to be a consensus.

OG 1.07
FG 1.019
ABV 6.9
IBU 70

U.S. 2-row pale malt - 9.5 lb's
Light munich - 3 lb's
Carapils - 1 lb
Crystal 120 - 1 lb
mash at 153F-154F

60 min 1.2 oz nugget
10 min .5 oz amarillo
5 min .5 oz amarillo
1 min 1 oz amarillo
dryhop 3 oz amarillo

Some recipes I found included a mix of crystal 40 and 60. Some of the recipes did not include carapils but many of those stated that the body was lacking compared to Green Flash. The ones with carapils were 1 pound. A couple of recipes had a pound of flaked oats as well.
What do you all think? Should I throw some medium crystal in there?
Would the oats be an overkill or worth a try?

The Green Flash website says Columbus, Nugget and Amarillo hops. So Columbus is probably in there as a bittering hop. I'd say the 3 oz. of dry hops is a bit much. My inclination is that 3 lbs of Munich too much. I'd suggest 10% of the grain bill maximum is Munich. That is what one would expect for either an American Amber Ale or IPA. I myself would lean to the Crystal 40 to 60 rather than the Crystal 120. Although I would judge the SRM of this beer to be about 14 or15 so that is what I'd shoot for as a target and color with the Crystal malts accordingly to get the color where you want it. Have fun with this.

Thanks. I'll fit some columbus in there somewhere. It looks like they use it for bittering then nugget/amarillo for flavor and amarillo for aroma.
Anybody else got any insight.

Back