Green Crud OK??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
I brewed by first extract beer last week--recipe: 90-Minute IPA--and racked it today into a secondary. It looked ok to me and smelled like beer. According to the recipe, I added 1 oz of simcoe and 1/2 oz cascade pellets to the secondary. Now, about 5 hours later, there's a 1/4 inch of green crud--sorta baby sh#t green--on the top of the wert. The hops were green and they floated when I added them, so I'm hoping that this new layer of stuff is not a problem. Comments??

It sounds like the hops are breaking apart, making hops sludge for you. That happens with hop pellets, so no problem. If it just floats on top, after a day or so, gently rock the carboy a bit to moisten all the crud. (GENTLY- don't aerated, just moisten the sludge). It should mostly fall to the bottom in a week or so.

Yah, it's just the pulverized hop peices floating to the top. As mentioned, gently rock the carboy once a day until they all sink. It'll only take a week of this to settle them out, so if you're secondarying for more than that I'd wait until the last seven days.

BTW, could you send me or post up the recipe?

You will also get some CO2 bubbles that wil get trapped in the hopscum and try to break free, but will just grow until they pop...they look a little scary, but that's normal. I have the same thing on my first dry hopped beer, as well.

Back