Green bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metzger22

Reaction score
Dose anyone know if using green bottles will effect the flavor. Also, has anyone tried using Heiniken bottles? I capped one with the red double handle bottle capper and it didn't seem to crimp as tight as other bottles. Does anyone have any advice on using these bottles?

Using green bottles can skunk your beer

But if you keep them out of the light store them in a dark place you should be OK

I don't know about the seal - but with a green bottle you need to take care to keep from exposing to light which will react to the hops in the bottle and cause them to skunk. If you put the bottles back into a case and keep in the case you should have no problems.

I don't use clear or green for mine - firstly because I don't drink beer that comes in green or clear - secondly because I have a little girl at home that opens the fridge over and over and stands in front of it and I don't want any accidental bad bottles.

Good luck

You can skunk your beer pretty quickly if it exposed to light so have a care. However, once in a while, for certain brews, I will use a clear bottle to be able to visually inspect progress without having to open one. There also should be kept out of the light (especially sun and flourescent).

I had issues with the wing capper and Dos Equis bottles, the lip was higher than other bottles and didn't provide the right grip for the bottle capper. The bottles would seal as I noticed no leaks, but I felt like I could still twist the cap a little.

Thanks for all the response guys. I'll make sure to keep em' in the dark. I may intetionally let one skunk just to see how it tastes. I do like store bought skunky beers but I know it's not appropriate for all beer styles.

Brett3rThanU said:
I had issues with the wing capper and Dos Equis bottles, the lip was higher than other bottles and didn't provide the right grip for the bottle capper. The bottles would seal as I noticed no leaks, but I felt like I could still twist the cap a little.

Dos Equis bottles appear to be on the European bottle opening size rather than the North American standard. I don't use them. You can compensate by adjusting your wing capper but I prefer not to be bothered; I use only American bottles.

Back