Green bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
This has been nagging me for a while. If green bottles are so bad because of the light they let in, then why do so many commercial brewers use them? I've read that some brands use clear bottles because they want the exposure to give the beer a specific taste (Corona I think), but I don't think this is the case for many of breweries that use the green bottles. Since I store mostly in closets I'm not sure I should even care about it much but I would like to know what the breweries are thinking (cost, eco-friendlier).

Well, first all beer was in green bottles before prohibition. After that when beer was legalized again, only imported beers came in green bottles (read Heinekin) since that time green bottles have become synonomous with "imported" beer, so it has become the marketing department of those brewery conglomerates to keep it that way.

I just saw a show recently and they also mentioned that green bottles supposedly look more expensive or "richer".

Back