Green bottles - Your opinions on using them

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
One of my favorite beers comes in green bottles. I have plenty of these to use for bottling my first home brew.

I have been told that they are not as good as the brown ones.

Your opinions?

Also, could someone explain the science? I assume it has something to do with UV light.

Thanks.

Yes brown bottles block uv better than green. However you can use them. I would recommend keeping them in a dark location to avoid light. I keep in a card board box then straight to the fridge. Never had a problem.

I'm with the others...keep them in the dark and nothing bad will happen. I have a few cases of the green Grolsch swing-top bottles that I use. I just keep them in their cardboard case and have never had a problem.

I don't really see the need to be so picky about the color, I keep all my brews light-free as much as possible. I mean you don't see many brown glass carboys around. I use colbalt-blue bottles sometimes, who knows...obviously there is going to be some exposure and therefore some effect, but I thinks its pretty marginal, still, if it really concerns you, go with brown.

I've bottled plenty of beer in clear glass bottles and it's 100% fine. I never leave it in a lit area, it's either in the fridge or in the cupboard behind closed doors aging. No worries :)

Back