Green Bottle Supplier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leftofthedial

Reaction score
Anyone have a line on a supplier/shop that sells green bottles capable of higher carb for Saisons? 375/500/750 - will take anything at this point! All I can find champagne bottles but hoping for different options.

Plus if cork and cage!!

Located in MA if that helps.

Thanks!

Champagne bottles will take Belgian corks and cages. Plus you can cap them if you don’t feel like spending the money on corks and cages (those damn corks are pricey). So they are a little more versatile than a Belgian type bottle. I hope that helps.

Preferences for green, cork and cage, high pressure. What's wrong with the champagnes?

Nothing per se - looking for more variations in bottle shape, etc. my closest shop only has 750 in one style.

Breweries have many different bottle shapes, looking to change it up.

Champagne bottles will take Belgian corks and cages. Plus you can cap them if you don’t feel like spending the money on corks and cages (those damn corks are pricey). So they are a little more versatile than a Belgian type bottle. I hope that helps.
Thank you

I use high pressure green bottles on my sours. They come in singles and 750’s.
55AB0E7A-D973-4CFB-9401-92CF5254D83C.jpeg
3B32C8AB-7288-4C65-BD7B-8CA90CC0ABE5.jpeg

When you see breweries (especially in the US) using shapes or sizes other than the normal 750ml it's because they can special order large enough volumes that their wholesalers can place orders. Homebrew shops generally sell so little of that kind of bottle that the wholesalers tend to only make the most basic size and shape available. That's generally true for brown bottles, too. Usually you only see a traditional 12oz long neck. At the peak of sour beer in the mid-2010s you could occasionally find shops willing to arrange purchases of the other sizes or shapes at a steep markup. At that point you might as well just buy a couple cases of a beer you like and have a good time acquiring empty bottles.

Champagne style bottles will accept cork and cage if you want but they are a different size cork from the mushroom-style Belgian bottles. Many homebrew shops also sell green bottles with a 26mm mouth (typical beer bottle size) instead of the 29mm (typical champagne style bottle) so make sure whatever you get you either have the right size caps or corks. You can shatter bottles forcing in corks that are too large. You run the risk as the corks swell shattering days or weeks after you bottle. I'm sure somebody will come in to disagree that they use the wrong size all the time but you can search for threads here and find enough people who had less luck.

When you see breweries (especially in the US) using shapes or sizes other than the normal 750ml it's because they can special order large enough volumes that their wholesalers can place orders. Homebrew shops generally sell so little of that kind of bottle that the wholesalers tend to only make the most basic size and shape available. That's generally true for brown bottles, too. Usually you only see a traditional 12oz long neck. At the peak of sour beer in the mid-2010s you could occasionally find shops willing to arrange purchases of the other sizes or shapes at a steep markup. At that point you might as well just buy a couple cases of a beer you like and have a good time acquiring empty bottles.

Champagne style bottles will accept cork and cage if you want but they are a different size cork from the mushroom-style Belgian bottles. Many homebrew shops also sell green bottles with a 26mm mouth (typical beer bottle size) instead of the 29mm (typical champagne style bottle) so make sure whatever you get you either have the right size caps or corks. You can shatter bottles forcing in corks that are too large. You run the risk as the corks swell shattering days or weeks after you bottle. I'm sure somebody will come in to disagree that they use the wrong size all the time but you can search for threads here and find enough people who had less luck.
Thank for your the detailed and thoughtful reply.

Thanks it does help!

Back