Green beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I brewed a English IPA, my first and maybe last sober brew. When the boil was finished I added my flame out hop addition and went about getting an ice bath together. About 7 min later I looked behind me to see my flameout addition LME, all 6.6 lbs of it. In a frantic moment I restarted the boil, once it was boiling I turned it off and added the LME. Then I cooled and pitched S-04. Fermentation took off over night and temp is holding at 68 degrees. But, the beer is green. I mean there is rolling green beer in my fermenter. Did I mess up by starting the boil again? It was 15 degrees F out, so there was a temp drop, which is why I restarted the boil.

when the most active part of the fermentation begins to slow, the green will begin dropping out. right amount of time in the primary will clear the beer.

hop pellets break up by the activity of the fermentation. the hops are held in suspension by the wort being churned by the yeast activity.

my petite saisons are a lovely yellow/green. first time also shocked me.

hop bags contain the bulk of the hops but there are hop particles that get through. It will fall out of suspension when the fermentation is done. i wouldnt worry about it.

Post a pic. im curious to see how green it actually is.

It'll drop out.

Just because you use a hop bag doesn't mean it contained all of the hop particulate, just the big stuff. All of my lighter colored beers tend to have a greenish hue until active fermentation dies down.

I just had my wife snap a pic for me, I am at work. It came out looking brown. She said that the green is fading, since I looked this morning. With S-04 working so fast, I am not surprised.

Back