Greatest beer glass ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phidelt844

Reaction score
I think it just may be...

HOPSIDE DOWN™

Trying to get a hold of one myself, but all stores in my area are sold out. At $20 a pop, a local store should be in stock mid April. Figured I'd share the news on this cool concept! :mug:

Yeah, that is pretty neat.

Someone posted a video not too long ago about an easy way to get a clean break and remove the bottom of a beer bottle. IIRC, it involved pouring some cooking oil into the bottle, then heating it over a stove... I forget what else was involved, but it looked super easy and left a nice clean break.

From there, it's a simple matter to smooth out the broken edge, invert the bottle, and glue the neck to the broken off bottom. Leaves you with a neat beer glass that's just under 12oz.

Amazing.... and I thought Duvel glasses were cool with the little "D" imprinted into the bottom of the glass. I think Fred's onto something here...

Yeah, that is pretty neat.

Someone posted a video not too long ago about an easy way to get a clean break and remove the bottom of a beer bottle. IIRC, it involved pouring some cooking oil into the bottle, then heating it over a stove... I forget what else was involved, but it looked super easy and left a nice clean break.

From there, it's a simple matter to smooth out the broken edge, invert the bottle, and glue the neck to the broken off bottom. Leaves you with a neat beer glass that's just under 12oz.

I had a guy show me how to do this by simply drinking a certain amount out, or filling with water once empty to a certain level, and smack you palm over the neck opening. Basically sends a shock wave through the water I'm guessing, and the bottom falls off clean spilling the liquid o course. Key is to smack your palm down so it seals the neck leaving no where for the pressure to come back up. I've never been able to do it but did witness him actually doing it. Would be easier once you got it down.

Mybe I'll revisit this this weekend or something.

Put oil in the glass to the level you want it to break; heat a nail or something over the stove. Drop it in the bottle (In the sink! I also recommend protection) and watch it break! If it doesn't right off the bat run under cold water and turn away... Never done it personally, but I have thought of it.

Back