Great Summer Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3sheetsEMJ

Reaction score
For anyone wanting a light refreshing summer blonde ale, I just made this batch and it turned out great!

4.5 lb briess pilsen extra light DME
12 oz briess wheat DME
8oz. Carmel 10
4oz Carafoam
.75 oz Glacier @60min
.75 oz Glacier @15 min
1whirlfoc tablet @12min
Yeast nutrient .5 tspn @10 min
.5 oz. Cascade @5 min
Wyeast American ale 1056 smackpack

Abv:5%
IBU:~21
SRM: 4

Ferment @72degrees F for 3-4 weeks, cold crash for last week, keg, drink after 1-2 weeks in keg.

This is a very light, refreshing ale, and is flexible. If you want to change it to a Golden Ale, you could beef up the crystal malt and maybe offset with a little more hops. Overall a very drinkable beer for the summer!

For anyone wanting a light refreshing summer blonde ale, with a smiple extract recipe, I just made this batch and it turned out great!

4.5 lb briess pilsen extra light DME
12 oz briess wheat DME
8oz. Carmel 10
4oz Carafoam
.75 oz Glacier @60min
.75 oz Glacier @15 min
1whirlfoc tablet @12min
Yeast nutrient .5 tspn @10 min
.5 oz. Cascade @5 min
Wyeast American ale 1056 smackpack

Abv:5%
IBU:~21
SRM: 4

Ferment @72degrees F for 3-4 weeks, cold crash for last week, keg, drink after 1-2 weeks in keg.

This is a very light, refreshing ale, and is flexible. If you want to change it to a Golden Ale, you could beef up the crystal malt and maybe offset with a little more hops. Overall a very drinkable beer for the summer!

* this recipe is on the extract forum and someone suggested I put it in the general forum as well

I'm curious how this would work out as a blueberry ale. Add some crushed blueberry to the primary after a week. I've seen a lot of blueberry wheat beers, I wonder how this would taste.

snyklez said:
I'm curious how this would work out as a blueberry ale. Add some crushed blueberry to the primary after a week. I've seen a lot of blueberry wheat beers, I wonder how this would taste.

Sounds great! I had actually thought of doing this as a peach or appricot ale, blueberry would work too! I would use more wheat than extra light DME, reduce the IBUs a bit, and maybe reduce the ctystal, this would really let the fruit flavor come through.

3sheetsEMJ said:
Sounds great! I had actually thought of doing this as a peach or appricot ale, blueberry would work too! I would use more wheat than extra light DME, reduce the IBUs a bit, and maybe reduce the ctystal, this would really let the fruit flavor come through.

Your adjustments are a great idea. I actually put another thread under general techniques crediting you and your recipe, but I'm not entirely sure the best process to add the fruit. I bottle condition so kegging's not going to work. The thread is called "blueberry blonde questions". I'd be grateful if you could check it out. I'd link to it but don't know how on the iPhone app.

Back