Great result that I want to share

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

therealrsr

Reaction score
I have 3 gallon of cyser starting but bought 4.5 gallon of fresh pressed for extra. I also have an Ed Wort apfelwein kegged and recently put on tap, (I did use nottingham vs. chapange yeast but everything else the same. Musselman's "fresh press" brand juice used.) It was good as usual but I let it finish out and it was pretty dry. With the extra actual fresh pressed cider from my local orchard and a few pints already tapped from the keg I decided to back sweeten w/ half a gallon plus poured into the keg. I figured that with the frig/kegerator temps I didn't have to worry about a restart.

Wow! Best cider I have made or tasted and I have tried many, many commercials. I side by sided with some Longbrow I had in the fridge and it wins hands down IMHO. I will never use a concentrate again to back (as I have many times) if I can get my hands on some real stuff! The depth of the apple flavor exploded vs. the nice finish only I am used to. (best explanation I can give)

Very cool, I'm going to start my first cider probably next week. I also went with the Nottingham. My thought's are it wont attenuate as much as the champagne yeast, as I would like a tad bit sweetness.

FWIW in my experience Notty won't leave sweetness unless you stop it early or go above the alcohol tolerance. But the crisp dry is good and can always be back sweetened.

I've been reading a lot about back sweetening and it sounds like fresh cider is the way to go.

My question to you is what size batch did you have when you achieved great results with a half gallon of fresh cider? Was that the 4.5 you were referencing? I'm going to transfer part my first batch to a 15.5 gal keg. Did you attempt force carbonation or drink it flat? Thanks and happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back