Great, or worst beer ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Oh man what a day. Brewed my first 10 gal AG batch today and it was all going so well till the end. Nailed mash temp, nailed og, put the chiller in and let er rip for what seemed like forever. As the nasty storms rolled in rain was falling in beer and I found out the tube on the chiller was leaking in to the beer. I have a spring so who knows if nasty's are in the water. So rain, chiller water and a bee will make for a great beer if it is ok. I did pitch on a Cream Ale Cake that I split in 4ths. So I hope this gets rocking fast to keep any bugs from getting started.

Beer will be a dirty rain water blonde....with bee sting lips

The first few years that I brewed, I did extract, and I only boiled 1.5 gallon batches. I would then dilute them to 5 gallons with ice (sometimes from store-bought bags and sometimes from home icemaker) and tap water. That being said, I think sanitation is super important, but I think that you'll be surprised how resilient that your wort will be. It is very likely you'll have bubbles going in the morning.

RDWHAHB - And pray to the beer Gods.

My last batch, my ice bath rose over the edges of my brew pot. About .5-1.0 pints of grubby sink water came over the top and into my wort.

No worse for the wear.

Good luck, man. I hope you are as fortunate as I have been at dodging the infection bug.

I'm in your same camp, man. We both dealt with the same storm.

My pump crapped out on me so I had to batch sparge by hand and then the rain started HARD with 20 minutes left in my 90 minute boil. I dumped the wort into my fermenter hot (it's a 10 gallon corny, so no danger there) and chucked it into the bathtub with ice until morning. Just pitched my yeast and am crossing my fingers.

Yep Jet it was a good one. One of the buckets is chugging along this morning the other with the blow off tube is still a little behind. Starsan in the airlock is always so pretty with the shapes it makes.

Dirty Rainwater Blonde - I like it. Or:

Hoernetgaarden
Fizzy Yellow Jacket - the beer to get you buzzed!

No worries!

The first few years that I brewed, I did extract, and I only boiled 1.5 gallon batches. I would then dilute them to 5 gallons with ice (sometimes from store-bought bags and sometimes from home icemaker) and tap water. That being said, I think sanitation is super important, but I think that you'll be surprised how resilient that your wort will be. It is very likely you'll have bubbles going in the morning.

+1 This.

Like he said, sanitation is important, but those yeasties are survivors. Now, if the tap/hose water was something that might have chlorine in it, that's another story. But with a spring, you should be good.

"Beer will be a dirty rain water blonde....with bee sting lips"

:rockin::mug: Sounds awesome.

I brewed through the storm too. And with a tornado warning, had the whole family in the basement for the event. Had to drag everything inside from the patio mid-mash. Thank God it cleared enough so I could boil outside. I figure a few raindrops is a small risk.

Beer is just hammering the air locks and blow-off tube. I dont think any bugs stand a chance with the super yeastie beasties. SWMBO always flashes the beer so I think they are working extra hard.

Looks like my brew is chugging away also. I hook a gas disconnect to the ball lock fitting and put the other end I'd the hose in a jug of Star San. Only took eight hours to get going.

I was tempted to brew another today. Glad I didn't new got hit with another storm worse than last nights. We were even under a tornado warning.

Looks like this may be more of a pale ale than an ESB. May end up calling Tornado Ale-y Pale.

Storms went all around us today never hit our house. Coulda woulda shoulda on the brew today. Have 20lbs that should be here on Monday so I will need to get cracking.

Back