Great Lakes Nosferatu clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdopchibrew

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've been working on a tentative clone recipe of the insanely tasty Imperial red from Great Lakes, and I'm finally gonna brew it next tuesday.Here's a link to the description on Great Lakes' site It specifies 2 row, Crystal 77 and Special roast, with cascade and simcoe for hops. Since i don't have access to the cc77, i figured I'd split the difference between 60 and 80... I got the gravities and Ibus pretty much nailed down, but let me know what you guys think, or if anyone has made a clone of it themselves, please share some words of wisdom!! Thanks:mug:

OG 1.074
FG 1.020
13.6 SRM
70 IBU

12# Marris Otter
12oz Special Roast
8oz C/C60
8oz C/C80

.3oz Simcoe FWH
1oz Simcoe 30min
1oz Cascade 10min
1oz Simcoe 10min
1oz Cascade 5min
1oz Simcoe 5min

1oz Cascade Dry hop
.5oz Simcoe Dry hop

Mash @ 152, Wyeast 1968

I love, love, love this beer!

I don't see the base as maris otter, as it seems to be more like an US base malt to me, but let me know how it comes out!

I've never had the commercial beer you're cloning, but their website states they use Harrington 2-row barley, which is grown in USA. Rahr American 2-row is made from Harrington barley. That ought to get you much closer than using MO.

And Crisp Crystal 77 isn't too hard to find either. I see you've already been given a link to it earlier in the thread.

Please continue to update us on your progress. This sounds like a delicious brew!

I look forward this beer each fall (hence why I searched for the clone recipe..haha)
It has a nice firm bitterness to it. I'm not sure that .3 oz simcoe at FWH is enough.

Let us know how it turns out! I probably won't get to brew this soon. Too many things on the front burner.

Bumping an old thread here to see if anyone ever brewed this and what their thoughts were on the recipe. I'm looking to brew a nosferatu clone this weekend and was going to tweak what's here unless there were suggestions on something different.

Cheers!

Keith

Hi Keith,

Sorry for never posting myresults... It was quite a while ago that I made this, and I distinctly remember this being a frustrating brew day. Low sg, bursting hoses, boilovers and the like. That being said, I was very satisfied with the adolescent clone, as the nosferatu flavor was there, but the abv was not. It's definitely a good place to start! Let me know how it goes for you! Cheers!

Sucks that it was a bad brew day, but I'm glad that the nosferatu flavor was there! I am planning to brew this in a few weeks, so I will let you know how it goes and any tweaks that I end up making.

Cheers!

Keith

Here's a recipe I've worked up, aiming for something like Nosferatu. Please give feedback. Has anyone really nailed this one?

6 gal

OG 1.080
FG 1.019
ABV 8.0%
IBU 71
SRM 19

16 lb 5 oz 2-row
1.25 lb Special Roast
1 lb C-80
4 oz roasted barley (late)

1 oz Simcoe 75 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Simcoe FO
1 oz Cascade FO
1 oz Simcoe dry-hop 5 days
1 oz Cascade dry-hop 5 days

Mash@152
Batch sparge @170
90 min boil
Pitch 2L starter of White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast (WLP007)

Ferment at 65 deg for 5-7 days, then increase to 70 deg until complete

Here's a recipe I've worked up, aiming for something like Nosferatu. Please give feedback. Has anyone really nailed this one?

6 gal

OG 1.080
FG 1.019
ABV 8.0%
IBU 71
SRM 19

16 lb 5 oz 2-row
1.25 lb Special Roast
1 lb C-80
4 oz roasted barley (late)

1 oz Simcoe 75 min
1 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Simcoe 10 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min
1 oz Simcoe FO
1 oz Cascade FO
1 oz Simcoe dry-hop 5 days
1 oz Cascade dry-hop 5 days

Mash@152
Batch sparge @170
90 min boil
Pitch 2L starter of White Labs Dry English Ale Yeast (WLP007)

Ferment at 65 deg for 5-7 days, then increase to 70 deg until complete

Personally I think that's way too much specialty malt. I would cut the SR to .75# & the Crystal (probably really needs the 77)to .5#. GLBC uses 013 (1028) extensively, and I don't think they dry hop this beer either. Just my $.02.

Personally I think that's way too much specialty malt. I would cut the SR to .75# & the Crystal (probably really needs the 77)to .5#. GLBC uses 013 (1028) extensively, and I don't think they dry hop this beer either. Just my $.02.

Thanks for the input. I'll try plugging in your numbers and see what that does to the stats.

I was able to confirm that they do indeed dry hop this. I'm planning to do something similar this coming weekend and will post back the final recipe in the next few days.

Cheers!

Keith

Great Lakes uses WY1028, for what it's worth. Good luck with the recipe! Let us know how it turns out - Nosferatu is a favorite of mine.

Back