Great Lakes Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another happy hoppy GLH customer. Here's a before pic of the setup. 1404386202654.jpg
Here's a shot from last week.
1404386237074.jpg
Here's all four plus a tomato plant. Tons of sweet succulent t romantic tomatoes of that bad boy too! I think it likes my hops fertilizer schedule! The leaves look all droopy because I just pulled a couple dozen nugget sidearms out of it. She was trying to eat the tomatoes to go with her chives! 1404386270795.jpg

All of my hops have seemed to have stalled this year I don't know what happened. Is there any way to jump start them a little I gave them a little fish emulsion but I've been out of town a lot this spring and summer

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The first picture is of my Glacier Hops, they have a few weeks left. The Columbus Hops have about a week. Super excited to brew some fresh IPA's soon!

Trophy Garden 3.jpg

Trophy Garden 4.jpg

Trophy Garden.jpg

Trophy Garden 2.jpg

My buddy's hops from post #31 two years later. These things are MONSTERS - Viking on the left, Centennial across the middle, Willamette on the right.

Leif Hops.jpg

Some of the 'things' in that pic don't look like the others. There's a few clusters of what look like very small grape clusters (probably about buckshot sized balls) in amongst the actual cones. If you've never seen them you'll probably just pass them by?

Agree with the Candy man. Check the last picture of AndMan3030's post that starts with "The first picture is of my Glacier Hops, they have a few weeks left. The Columbus Hops have about a week. Super excited to brew some fresh IPA's soon!"

That last picture is showing a hermaphrodite (I hope) with female and male. If its Columbus it could be just that the plant is stressed. Cascade usually does it but all the C's have tendencies towards that.

Also, you've probably got more than a week to go. Give it at least a couple. Are you really in Minneapolis? I'm not sure how they could be that far along. You shouldn't even be in burr state, yet.

I live right next to there farm it's super sweet and they are very good hops!!! He knows a lot about them too you could ask him about them!

The male parts are from my Columbus Hops. Its not stressed, its been a hermaphrodite since day one. Research shows its a fairly common trait of Columbus. No problem whatsoever.

B-Hoppy - I'm told that even though the hermaphrodites have male flowers, they will not reproduce. Those are 4 year plants and I have not found a single seedling.

Back