Great Lakes Burning River Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooZer

Reaction score
Hey All,

I recently got my hands on a Burning River clone..SCORE. It is set up for a 2.5 gal boil. Can anyone tell me where to get a calcualtor to convert for proper hop utilization. Or tell me the formula so i can calculate.

Thanks!

Sure, post the recipe and I'll run it through Beersmith for you. And then, I'll convert it to AG and make it, too! That is one of my favorite beers!

Here goes...

Steep
12oz US 40L Crystal
3oz Belgian Biscuit
in 1 gallon of 155 degree for 30 minutes.

Add water to equal 2.5 gallons boil. Then add,
3.3 LB Briess Light Malt Syrup
4.33 LB M&F Light Dry Malt
1 oz cascade @5.5% AA
1.5 oz northern brewer @8% AA

45 min in
add 2/3 oz cascade
1 tsp irish moss

59 minutes in add
2/3 oz cascade

remove pot at 60 min.

top up to 5&1/8 gallons.

Pitch Wyeast 1968 London ESB.

Dry hop with 1/2 oz of cascade.

OG= 1.061-1.063
FG= 1.014-1.016
SRM=12
IBU= 60
ABV=6.0

Sorry that is the first recipe i posted. I cant wait to try it out!

I will probably start with 6.5 - 7 gallons of boil water. So that may affect hop utilization.

YOOP, i thought you might like this, i saw you posted on it awhile back.

here's one that I've got all grain:

All grain OG: 1.061-63 FG: 1.014-1.016 SRM: 12 IBU: 60

10.67 lbs US 2-row pale malt
12 oz US 40 L Crystal malt
3 oz. Belgian Biscuit Malt
Mash at 150 for 90 min.

12.3 HBU bittering hops
1 oz cascade @ 5.5% for 90 min **
1.5 oz. Northern Brewer @ 8% for 90in **These are the extract hops which are 17.7 HBU's, so adjust amounts to 12.3 HBU's for full boil.
2/3 oz Cascade for 15 min
2/3 oz Cascade for 1 min
1/2 oz Cascade dry hop (3 weeks?)

1 tsp irish moss for 15 min

1st choice: Wyeast 1968 London ESB
2nd choice: Wyeast 1028 London Ale

for extract I ran this thru ProMash and came up with (for 6 gal):
6.0 lbs Muttons light DME
2.5 muttons dark DME
steeping grains and hops the same.

Ender

-I'm smelling a lot of IF coming offa this plan-

I have Beersmith, Broozer, so I'll run it, but I don't understand that hopping schedule. What goes in at what time? It doesn't make sense to me that way. I have a terrible cold, and my head is clogged up and I don't quite "get it". When I run that with a 2.5 gallon boil, I get like 30 IBUs using the first hops at 60 minutes. With a full boil, you'd get 60, which is closer anyway.

So, I'd do that recipe with a full boil just as written. I'm not sure how close it would be to Burning River, though.

here's a pale ale from the brewers at great lakes, it's published in the brewmaster's bible, circa 1995. this recipe is by andrew tveekrem, brewmaster at great lakes brewing.

10 gallons

21 lbs english pale malt
3 lbs english crystal malt (usually 60L)

northern brewer or galena kettle hops
cascade at 30 minutes
goldings at 15 minutes
goldings at flame out

weast 1028

note: the author doesn't measure out hops per se, but says each addition is about three handfuls of pellet hops. i'd aim for two to three ounces per addition.

YooperBrew said:
I have Beersmith, Broozer, so I'll run it, but I don't understand that hopping schedule. What goes in at what time? It doesn't make sense to me that way. I have a terrible cold, and my head is clogged up and I don't quite "get it". When I run that with a 2.5 gallon boil, I get like 30 IBUs using the first hops at 60 minutes. With a full boil, you'd get 60, which is closer anyway.

So, I'd do that recipe with a full boil just as written. I'm not sure how close it would be to Burning River, though.

DOnt worry Yooper, maybe this will make it more clear. Hop additions are as follows.

1oz cascade &
1.5 oz northern brewer at begining of 60 minute boil

2/3 oz cascade (flavor) at 45 minutes

2/3 oz cascade at 59 minutes. The aroma are only to be boiled for 1 minute.

This recipe is from the book beer captured.

ok, that's what I assumed when I ran it. I'm glad I did it right. Like I said, with a 2.5 gallon boil, the IBUs are around 30, but with a full boil, it's 60 IBUs. So, I'd do the full boil with no adjustments.

YooperBrew said:
ok, that's what I assumed when I ran it. I'm glad I did it right. Like I said, with a 2.5 gallon boil, the IBUs are around 30, but with a full boil, it's 60 IBUs. So, I'd do the full boil with no adjustments.

Thanks, i wonder why their recipe says its 60 IBU for a 2.5 gallon boil. That seems odd.

So, did anyone ever try any of these recipes? How did it come out - and how close were you to GL's Burning River?

I will be brewing this one within the month I think. Slight changes from beer captured....
Set for 78% eff
Esitmated OG: 1.065
Estimated FG: 1.019
Estimated ABV: 6.01%
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 62.1 (will change)

11# 8oz 2row
1# 60L
.25# Biscuit

Galena (12.2%) instead of NB and don't have cascade(estimated at 5.5%) at moment so i don't know the AA of them.

but estimated
1oz Cascade @ 90min
1oz Galena @ 60min
.75oz Cascade @ 15min
.75oz Cascade @ 1min
.5oz Cascade dry hopped (2 weeks probably)

wyeast 1968 or wlp 002 for yeast.

BR was the inspiration for my house pale ale. I went Galena bittered, and Cascade flavored, finished, and dry hopped and side by side mine blew theirs out of the water. I think their site said 45IBUs so you could use the recipe with the "handful" amounts and put it in beersmith and see what you have.

BR was the inspiration for my house pale ale. I went Galena bittered, and Cascade flavored, finished, and dry hopped and side by side mine blew theirs out of the water. I think their site said 45IBUs so you could use the recipe with the "handful" amounts and put it in beersmith and see what you have.

Yes they say 45IBU's but most clones say 60+.... :confused:

It depends on how the IBUs are measured or what formula they use for estimation.

Shoot for around 50-55 and it should be about right.

I always forget about that. It seems they might use the Garetz formula.

Hey, everyone...

My cousin & I are thinking about attempting something close to a Burning River type of ale..not necessarily a clone, but definitely want to take some things from it.

I'm just seeing that the IBUs on the actual brew are 45, not 60, and for those of you who've had this, you know how bitter it already is! Is there a way to calculate the amount of hop utililzation for a partial boil (3G) to get to that range?

Thanks in advance!

We did, actually...and it came out pretty good. Not quite as piney as the original, but a nice, easy drinker. I'm sure I can dig up the bill if you're interested - it's an extract recipe, though...haven't made the leap to all grain yet.

I just upgraded some of my equipment and am going to attempt a 10 gallon batch in my new 15 gallon keggle and blichman burner :). Still doing extract, but this is the first time I'm attempting a boil this large, previously I've been doing partial boils for 5 gallon batches on my electric stove.

I purchased two "Burning River" Pale Ale Clone kits, and plan to just double my ingredients. Can anyone advise if I should adjust my hops (or anything else) for this double batch? Here's the specifics:

Target OG: 1.058 - 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.012-1.018

Ingredients:
1 lb 40L crystal
3 oz biscuit malt
1 can briess golden light LME
4 lbs light DME
3 oz cascade pellets (bittering 90 min)
1 oz cascade pellets (flavor 15 min)
1 oz cascade pellets (aroma 2 min)
1 oz cascade leaf (dry hop secondary)
1 tsp irish moss
safale US-05

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

I just upgraded some of my equipment and am going to attempt a 10 gallon batch in my new 15 gallon keggle and blichman burner :). Still doing extract, but this is the first time I'm attempting a boil this large, previously I've been doing partial boils for 5 gallon batches on my electric stove.

I purchased two "Burning River" Pale Ale Clone kits, and plan to just double my ingredients. Can anyone advise if I should adjust my hops (or anything else) for this double batch? Here's the specifics:

Target OG: 1.058 - 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.012-1.018

Ingredients:
1 lb 40L crystal
3 oz biscuit malt
1 can briess golden light LME
4 lbs light DME
3 oz cascade pellets (bittering 90 min)
1 oz cascade pellets (flavor 15 min)
1 oz cascade pellets (aroma 2 min)
1 oz cascade leaf (dry hop secondary)
1 tsp irish moss