great lakes brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frunkasduck

Reaction score
didn't know where to post this, so mods if its in the wrong spot please feel free to move it. but i live roughly 20-30 minutes away from great lakes in cleveland ohio. was gonna head over there this week with my girlfriend. anyone ever been there?

Have you been to any other breweries?

I have never been there. I did do an Edmund Fitzgerald's Porter clone I found in a catalog.

I sampled one of theirs last summer. Mine was not as heavy and smoky as theirs. It also had kind of a mossy flavor to it. It had tons of character.

It would be a good beer if you got left to your own at the house and wanted to enjoy a couple while watching a movie later at night when you wouldn't get interrupted. I think more than a couple at a sitting and it would be too much.

I haven't been to any breweries yet unfortunately. I am looking forward to one of the current members breweries here though. I forget his name, but he is opening a place about 2 hours away from me in ohio. i cannot wait to try his beer: Buckeye Lake Brewery | Facebook

on the other hand, I am absolutely in love with great lakes. I've only had their Christmas Ale, dortmunder gold, and elliot ness. never had the edmund fitzgerald though but it has to be delicious. i'l go out and buy a six pack of it tonight.

I live about 45 minutes from Great Lakes Brewing. I personally have not been there though.

My brother and quite a few of my friends have gone and they all say if you take the tour make sure you get a hotel room near by haha.

I make it a point to go to as many breweries as possible and they are definitely on my list.

haha they are offering free tours now on thursdays! you just have to sign up online. definitely take the time to do that. not sure when i can go for sure considering I work midnights, so hopefully we get a down day this week so i can go over there.

Yes, go and check it out. Im sure you will have a great time. Check out the West Side Market across the street too. Its a cool place.

Enjoy yourself, GLBC makes some fantastic beers.

Yes!!!! Go there, awesome place. Check out Bier Market and there is a new brewery by the West Side Market, Market Garden Brewery. Haven't been back to Cleveland to try it out, will be there for the holidays.

Tremont is another cool neighborhood near Ohio City where the breweries be found. It has several great restaurants, and many great bars. Lucky's Cafe has amazing food, especially Brunch.

The Winking Lizard is always a good spot to find a lot of beer variety.

Yeah I love the winking lizard! I usually go to a lot of Indians and browns games considering I live close by, and I usually pregame at the lizard and either go there again or wilberts after the games.

I have not been there but have had many of their beers and they definitely know what they are doing.

As of their beer menu right now, I'd make sure you try the Edmund Fitzgerald, Christmas Ale, Blackout Stout, & Nosferatu.

If you're still up for more after that, get a Blackout Stout & Pumpkin Ale. Mix them together & you'll end up with the best pumpkin stout you've ever tasted!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Yeah I LOVE christmas ale. my absolutely favorite of all time! is nosferatu the ones that come in 4 pack bottles? never had any great lakes draft though.

you're from cleveland? i'm learning everything i need to know before i start brewing, so once i start we should definitely exchange some home brew!

I'm from about 20 min south of Cleveland. Nosferatu does come in 4-packs & it's an imperial red. Everything is always better on draft though. They have a ton of good beers on tap right now, so you're picking a good time to go.

If you do go Thursday, they usually have a special firkin around 4 PM where they put a twist on one of their normal beers. The last time I made it for one was a vanilla bean infused Edmund Fitzgerald...it was amazing!

awesome i'm over by the sandusky area, and i'm always over in amherst/lorain with my girlfriend. and that vanilla bean sounds incredible, i keep hearing good things about edmund fitz, i was gonna go grab a 6 pack last night but i got called in to work and im just heading into work now, so in the morning i'l probably go pick some up.

I've got a Barrel-Aged Black Out Stout aging in my wine cooler right now. It's about 1.5 years old right now...not sure how I've restrained myself from drinking it.

Back