great brew day.... and then

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a great brew day today, nice weather, brewing a new recipe for a peated scotch ale. everything went smooth...... then i pitched the yeast, from starter. Transferred part of starter later into new starter and noticed an off smell. tasted starter. lemon sour! I will try again later this week!

Sorry but it sounds like an infection. It might turn out really tasty though, so don't dump it! Ride it out and see how the flavor evolves. Are you into sours at all? Might turn out to be the best batch you ever brew...

I am going to let it ferment, I do like sours and although the starter was sour it tasted good. just wasn't what i was going for. being out of work and plenty of grain I will brew it again later this week.

Beer is now kegged and carbed with some extra ime to round out the flavors and taste very good at this point. only time will tell if the starter was infected so I will just have to drink it faster!

Ya know... I've never tasted a starter, but I can imagine flavors of wet newspaper, wallpaper paste, and possible a hint of old sweat socks.
I'm betting this is a fine batch of Olde Peat Scotch Ale.

This starter was 007 dry English ale and had a lemon smell. I had it in the fridge to let the yeast drop, and pulled it out when I started brewing to let it warm back up. I poured some off to start another starter and pitched the rest. At the end of the day i went to make the new starter the yeast didn't look right (very fizzy). 007 usually is clumpy, this wasn't. I still think it was infected, but it taste good for now.

Yeah, that sucks :(
I recently had a terrible brew day where the mash bed compacted so tightly I couldn't get more than 5l of wort out at the end. When I fetched the starter (White Labs 004 Irish Ale), it had an intense smell of vomit (sour and all). Luckily, I had some dry yeast on hand (BRY-97). The end result was a single bottle of imperial stout and a 5l carboy of still fermenting oaked Brett Imperial Stout.
I recently had the one bottle of Imperial Stout: it tasted heavenly. It's impossible to tell if that made me sad - seeing how it was the only bottle of that beer - or happy that it wasn't all for nothing.

In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure what was going on with the starter. The smell coming out of these yeast vials or starter packs often isn't entirely pleasing. But it's so hard to take a risk at that point - so maybe you actually did just the right thing. Without even knowing it.

Yeah, that sucks :(
I recently had a terrible brew day where the mash bed compacted so tightly I couldn't get more than 5l of wort out at the end. When I fetched the starter (White Labs 004 Irish Ale), it had an intense smell of vomit (sour and all). Luckily, I had some dry yeast on hand (BRY-97). The end result was a single bottle of imperial stout and a 5l carboy of still fermenting oaked Brett Imperial Stout.
I recently had the one bottle of Imperial Stout: it tasted heavenly. It's impossible to tell if that made me sad - seeing how it was the only bottle of that beer - or happy that it wasn't all for nothing.

In retrospect, I'm not entirely sure what was going on with the starter. The smell coming out of these yeast vials or starter packs often isn't entirely pleasing. But it's so hard to take a risk at that point - so maybe you actually did just the right thing. Without even knowing it.
The vomit aroma means it was contaminated by wild microbes.

Back