Great ABV % from my AHBS Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
I brewed an AHBS Vanilla Porter on Nov 3rd and racked to my secondary yesterday. I also used there alcohol boost option which I have used successfully in the past.

Eight days in the primary and my gravity went from 1.070 to 1.020 :ban: 6.6% ABV :mug:

My previous brewing experience tells me this one is gonna finish off somewhere around 1.016 and 7.15% ABV.

I brewed their Double Chocolate Stout once before and it ended up a 6.6%, so I am quite pleased with this Porter.

If all ends as expected the attentuation will be around 75%...

Can't wait to for this one to be ready in mid-December :D :drunk:

I ordered their Strong Ale ale kit yesterday. Planning on adding some honey to it and hitting 8.5% ABV for a nice lil winter warmer beer for later this holiday season.

:mug:

WC87 said:
I ordered their Strong Ale ale kit yesterday. Planning on adding some honey to it and hitting 8.5% ABV for a nice lil winter warmer beer for later this holiday season.

:rockin: :mug:

I've been looking at that kit to do. I want to some type of porter soon. How did they add vanilla flavor for the kit? vanilla extract?

If you want a high ABV try the double IPA from Austin Homebrew it's really good.

Poppy360 said:
What was the recipe?

Well according to their instructions:

Grains:
1/2 lb. Cara-Vienne
1/2 lb. Crystal 60L
1/2 lb. Chocolate
1 3/4 lb. 2-Row
1/4 lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz. Black Patent

LME:
5 1/2 lb. Amber Extract

Hops:
1 oz. Northdown

Yeast:
I used Muntons Ale Dry Yeast (2 packs)

I also added a the extra 1 % Alcohol boost pack. Their description: (Add 1% alcohol to your beer without compromising flavor. Brewvint Alcohol Boost 55% maltose, 45% glucose, very fermentable with little flavor contribution.)

And finally just before bottling:
1 oz. of powdered Vanilla flavoring.

Sounds delicious, can't wait to try some... :ban:

Johnmike24 said:
I've been looking at that kit to do. I want to some type of porter soon. How did they add vanilla flavor for the kit? vanilla extract?

1 oz. of powdered Vanilla flavoring... that's all I can tell you, other than I did their Double Chocolate Stout once and it was the same setup. Powdered and you add it when bottling. The DC Stout had a really nice mellow chocolate taste.

The box where I store my ingredients has a totally kick ass vanilla smell to it right now. :p

beerdad said:
If you want a high ABV try the double IPA from Austin Homebrew it's really good.

Adding to Wishlist right now... I have developed quite the taste for IPA's and that one sounds good. And a high ABV does not hurt my feelings at all :mug:

I just went and added it. It's a bit more expensive than others, but I bet it's tasty :mug:

Did you add the 1% alcohol boost to yours? What kind of ABV % did you get ?

In fact I think I might just order this one next... :tank:

Johnmike24 said:

just found this page on the AHBS page...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/index.php?cPath=178_21_74

two of the flavorings i have used are the vanilla and cocoa powder. both were parts of kits and i haven't actually tasted the vanilla yet, but the cocoa powder was great!!!

a lot of these seem to be extracts, but the vanilla and cocoa are powder and not liquid...

glad i found the above page, it's giving me thoughts about future brews...

i have also used slightly baked canned pumpkin and Oregon Cherry Puree. Both of those were very successful...

:cross:

BrewProject said:
Adding to Wishlist right now... I have developed quite the taste for IPA's and that one sounds good. And a high ABV does not hurt my feelings at all :mug:

I just went and added it. It's a bit more expensive than others, but I bet it's tasty :mug:

Did you add the 1% alcohol boost to yours? What kind of ABV % did you get ?

In fact I think I might just order this one next... :tank:

I didn't use the alcohol boost with this one. By my hydrometer readings the ABV was in the high nines. I gave one to my friends dad and he said it was the best IPA he has tried. He drinks a lot of microbrew. I thought he was just being nice saying that, but my friend and his brother say he mentions it when I'm not around.

I brought a few in to work to give to some of the guys. One of them came back requesting to buy a sixer from the next batch.

I ordered the mini mash kit yesterday. I can't wait to try it, I hear they come out a lot better than just extract. I really can't wait to get my hands of that yeast cake and wash it. Next time I'll save 6.99 on the yeast so it won't be so expensive. It's worth it though. I usually only drink two of these and that's enough.

BrewProject said:
Well according to their instructions:

Grains:
1/2 lb. Cara-Vienne
1/2 lb. Crystal 60L
1/2 lb. Chocolate
1 3/4 lb. 2-Row
1/4 lb. Roasted Barley
1 oz. Black Patent

LME:
5 1/2 lb. Amber Extract

Hops:
1 oz. Northdown

Yeast:
I used Muntons Ale Dry Yeast (2 packs)

I also added a the extra 1 % Alcohol boost pack. Their description: (Add 1% alcohol to your beer without compromising flavor. Brewvint Alcohol Boost 55% maltose, 45% glucose, very fermentable with little flavor contribution.)

And finally just before bottling:
1 oz. of powdered Vanilla flavoring.

Sounds delicious, can't wait to try some... :ban:

Awesome, thanks!

Edit: What SRM is the 2-row?

Poppy360 said:
Awesome, thanks!

Edit: What SRM is the 2-row?

it doesn't say and all the grains just come mixed together in one bag. wish I would have taken a picture of it, I usually do...

wow, bottled the vanilla porter yesterday...

OG = 1.070
FG = 1.014

7.4 % ABV and 79.04% Attenuation :ban: :rockin: :tank: :mug:

Poppy360 said:
Why did you use two packs of yeast? Just wondering.

Munton's comes in 6g packs, instead of the 11g for most other dry yeasts, so you need 2 packs to get the cell count up where you want it.

Poppy360 said:
Why did you use two packs of yeast? Just wondering.

i used two packs because that is what comes with the kit...

however, elkdog is correct with his comments...

Thanks. This is gonna be my next brew after 08-08-08....but, it may happen before. ;)

Although my plan is to use vanilla bean, not extract.

Poppy360 said:
Thanks. This is gonna be my next brew after 08-08-08....but, it may happen before. ;)

Although my plan is to use vanilla bean, not extract.

good luck with your brew, the vanilla bean sounds good.

when i brew any vanilla flavors in the future i may go with the beans also...

however with that said, i tasted it while bottling and it had a real nice flavor to it already... :rockin:

Tasted a bottle of the Vanilla Porter yesterday after 8 days in the bottle.

It's actually somewhat carb'd already. very smooth with a hint of vanilla...

delicious !!! :rockin:

2 more weeks !!! :mug:

This beer is fully matured and I am enjoying it, as are a bunch of my friends... i've handed out about 7 or 8 of these thus far...

so far, everyone loves it, which is kinda what i expected after a taste in the bottle for 1 week...

it's all been 1 or 2 here before tonight and for the first time i had about 5 tonight. wow, that 7.4% can really be felt... :tank:

the taste is superb; a very smooth porter with a hint of vanilla and tonight i experienced the ABV... :ban:

i can drink quite a few to say the least, but to have 5 homebrews and have a very good buzz is great !!! :rockin:

i would highly recommend this vanilla porter kit from austin home brew... :drunk:

EDIT: These are in 16 oz bottles too, woohoo !!! I am gonna have another

This thing really did carbonate well. Take a look at this after a full unadulterated pour into a 16 oz glass...

vanillaporterxz8.jpg

That looks delicious. I'm ordering their Raspberry Porter as we speak.
1 question on yeast tho, I thought I'd need a "special" yeast to do the higher ABV brews..?
I'm also getting the ABV Upgrade.. :rockin:

I did their vanilla porter back in april or so... still have a few kicking around. I love it.

What kind of chocolate was in the double chocolate stout? Was it bitter like bakers chocolate or was it more sweet?

Ridemywideglide said:
That looks delicious. I'm ordering their Raspberry Porter as we speak.
1 question on yeast tho, I thought I'd need a "special" yeast to do the higher ABV brews..?
I'm also getting the ABV Upgrade.. :rockin:

I just used their Munton's dry yeast and the alcohol boost...

I got very good attentuation, so I guess that accounts for the high ABV...

good luck with your Raspberry... :mug:

z987k said:
I did their vanilla porter back in april or so... still have a few kicking around. I love it.

What kind of chocolate was in the double chocolate stout? Was it bitter like bakers chocolate or was it more sweet?

I did not taste it before adding to my beer, but I think it was more of a bitter, not sweet. It was like cocoa powder....

My vanilla porters are going fast. Damn, took some to a party, had friends over to help brew and friends over to play guitar one time. I've only got a six pack of 16 oz'ers left :(

Back