Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
My last batch had a OG of 1.054 and an FG of 1.021. Not as low as I wanted. I was hoping for around 1.015 or so. Any suggestions for improving and bettering this? I'll give info on beer. Just a simple brew from stuff I had.

8.5 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb Briess 120
.5 lbs flaked maize

mash at 154 F for 60 min.
Centennial 60 min
Fuggle 30 min
Fuggle 1 min
WLP002 English Ale Yeast

Thanks for any help. I know it's kind of a noob question but I like to get suggestions.

Well, you got 61% attentuation which is just outside the range for WLP002 (63%-70%). Did you make an appropriately sized starter?

I guess this just depends on your strain of yeast you were using. With your OG and FG, it appears that you had right around 61% apparent attenuation which is on the low end for your beer. Most yeast will attenuate out around 65-75% with some even going as high as 85%.

There are several factors that could contribute to this lower attenuation rate. How long did you leave it in primary? Did you rack to a secondary? Also, what temps were you fermenting at? Any of those factors could have contributed to your low attenuation rate, as well as many other factors. Although this won't "ruin" a beer, it may cause the beer to be slightly sweeter than expected due to the amount of sugar still not consumed by the yeast.

Without any more information, I would suggest these things:

Mash at a lower temperature for a more fermentable wort

Use less Caramel 120 say half a pound instead of a pound.

Make sure your wort is well aerated for maximum yeast health

Ferment at middle of temperature range for the type of yeast

Make a good healthy starter as Flyangler says

Give us more information about fermentation conditions and yeast handling and we can give you more targeted advice.

No I did not...................(background noises as I punch myself) That is something I should have done and thought of. Thanks!

It fermented in a room around 62 and the temp on the carboy read 70 at the height of activity. I simply followed the instructions on the vial and removed it from the fridge an appropriate time before pitching. Thanks again I will be sure to make a starter next time.

Back