Gravity too low after fermentation. Hmm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J187

Reaction score
A friend came to me with a question that I'm not sure how to answe for him. He's a newer brewer and he made a Belgian wheat that he said he missed his OG by 11 points. However, he fermented it anyway since it was late when he finished brewing and he thought it needed to get right into the fermenter. Now that its done fermenting he tasted at bottling time and says its way too light bodied and thin. He wants to fix it. I told him keep it as a session but he doesn't think he's going to like it. The only thing I could think to try is brew a 1 gallon batch, similar ingredients but in a higher concentration, ferment the 1 gallon batch for a week and blend the two. Any thoughts??

Or maybe just maltodextrine at bottling with the priming sugar?

As it carbonates and matures its apparent body will increase. Tell him to bottle it and wait 4 weeks to make any decisions on the beer.

As it carbonates and matures its apparent body will increase. Tell him to bottle it and wait 4 weeks to make any decisions on the beer.

This^^^^^

Age and carbonation will go a long way to making the beer better.

had this happen to me with my last ipa. i wound up with a 4.2% abv ipa rather than a 5.4%. A session ipa....i think i'm gonna like it. here's hoping its ready before the 95+ degree days fade away.

Yea, I already told him my best advice was to stand pat and see how it turns out... He's brewed this same beer twice before and he's not happy at all with it being 11 points too low. He wants to try something.

Latest posts

Back