Gravity Too High

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I'm brewing a clone of Arrogant Bastard Ale from AHS and the OG came out perfect at 1.078, but after 1 week in the primary the gravity is still 1.028 where as it should bottom out at 1.018. I've been fermenting with Nottingham yeast at ~64F and there was a lot of activity the first few days, but now it seems to have stopped. I see no krausen and no airlock activity. I should probably leave it in the primary for a few more days, but I'm a little worried that it still needs to drop 10 points and there's almost no airlock activity. Suggestions?

brewing takes lots of patience : ) let it sit for a week or two. thats a pretty high gravity so i'd let it set for at least 14 more days. its probably fine. just remember. patience.

Warm it up to 68º - 70º and rouse the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter 2 or 3 times a day.

How did you aerate?

1 week in primary is not very long for a 1.078 beer. I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped a few more points in the next week or so.

1.018 is not that high when you started with 1.078. That's about 76.92 attenuation and around 8% abv. I still would let is sit for a while (2 weeks or so) and it might go down a little. Still 8% bastard is pretty good.
Cheers!:mug:

Thanks guys. I was just a little worried because I'm hardly seeing any activity in the airlock and a lack of krausen. However, I'll give it another week and take a gravity reading, it certainly can't hurt, then I'll move it to the secondary.

I had a brew that was stuck @ 1.020 for about a week I set it on the dryer and it has dropped down to 1.014 give it a few days they try to roust the yeast

I took another gravity reading today and it was down to 1.025, so it is still dropping. I went ahead and gave it a quick stir while I had the top off too, now I see some airlock activity every now and then. I did my best not to splash the beer, hopefully I didn't aerate it.

The gravity reading finally stopped at 1.024 and wasn't budging, so I went ahead and racked it to the secondary. What are the odds that the gravity will drop lower over the next few weeks sitting in the secondary?

Or should I pick up another pack of Nottingham yeast and dump it in my secondary?

Back