gravity still dropping after 10 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
This is my first batch, a nut brown ale. I keep planning on racking to secondary, but the gravity isn't stabilizing.

I brewed on 3/15 and got an og of 1.060
3/20 g=1.023
3/22 g=1.023
I was going to rack on 3/23 but I got a reading of 1.019 on 3/23
I checked tonight 3/25, and it was 1.015.

I've been taking 2 or 3 readings each time, to eliminate misreadings.

I know that no harm is coming from it still being in the primary, but I expected the fermentation to have stopped by now, and the gravity to stabilize. Is it common for it to still be going? I am anxious to brew my second batch, but trying to be as patient as possible.

10 days is nothing. I don't even check a reading on anything I brew until at least 10 days. Usually they are about done at 10, but it REALLY depends on many many factors (type of yeast, fermenting temps, whether you made a starter, etc).

....just keep being patient :mug:

Not to hijack the thread, but I am a bit curious as to what's going on with my porter... I used a cascade extract kit, but steeped 250gm JWH chocolate malt in 3 litres of water for 20 mins, plus I added an additional 500gm Dextrose and 100gm Dried Corn Syrup. I started and pitched 11gm Safale US05. I have been fermenting between 70°F and 75°F.

The ferment has finally almost stopped after 17 days. This is the longest I have ever had brew ferment, with the exception of a Bock that I lagered for nearly a month.

Wonder what's up with mine?

The other boon of patience would be that you wouldn't lose all that beer after 15 test jars of wort gone to waste.

:tank:

Back