Gravity sampling from a small batch

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

rilo0407

Reaction score
I brewed a 1 gallon batch of pale ale yesterday. Just experiementing with some dry malt extract and leaf hops. I have a five gallon batch of weizenbier going and my method of getting a gravity involves a sanitised turkey baster and a 250 mL graduated cylinder. If I take that from my little one gal batch I will be wasting my beer. I really dont want to invest in a refractometer but I guess I could look for a skinnier glass cylinder. Is it possible to tie a string to a sanitised hydrometer and drop it into the one gal jug?

scinerd3000

Reaction score
you could do that but do you really want to risk contaminating the whole batch? go on ebay...i picked up a refractometer for 35-40 bucks. there cheap and worth it especially if you go to all grain(to check preboil/postboil/first runnings gravities etc)
if you do use a string...may i suggest something none-porous like fishing line. it may be a bit harder to tie but you can sanitize it more properly.

vitrael

Reaction score
I use a fermtech thief. Wastes zero beer and only costs $8 instead of a $40-100 refractometer. Infection? The sucker is coated in StarSan.

Whether or not you can get it into a 1G fermenting vessel will depend though. It's made for 5G carboys.