Gravity Samples from Buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie_JD

Reaction score
I know from reading this great forum that the best way to ensure fermentation is complete is to take gravity reading several days in a row. I also know that exposing beer to oxygen (especially past initial fermentation is not a great thing.

I am doing a single stage fermentation in my primary bucket. I don't think I have any choice but to open it up a few days in a row to get samples, but the question is, is it too much exposure to oxygen?

IME you'll be fine. In fact I literally just had mine open for probably 5 minutes to grab a sample and check gravity. I personally don't recommend dropping your hydrometer straight in the beer. Use a thief if you have one or a turkey baster and a tall enough glass to drop your hydro into it.

IME you'll be fine. In fact I literally just had mine open for probably 5 minutes to grab a sample and check gravity. I personally don't recommend dropping your hydrometer straight in the beer. Use a thief if you have one or a turkey baster and a tall enough glass to drop your hydro into it.

May I ask the reasoning for this, it seems like putting the (sanitized) hydrometer straight into the bucket would work great. it is glass, and smooth, easy to sanitize, etc.
I however know NOTHING about brewing, so I will defer to those with more knowledge........meaning all of you:p

You should be good. There is a layer of CO2 above your beer which will help protect from oxygen exposure, as long as you are careful not to disturb it.

May I ask the reasoning for this, it seems like putting the (sanitized) hydrometer straight into the bucket would work great. it is glass, and smooth, easy to sanitize, etc.
I however know NOTHING about brewing, so I will defer to those with more knowledge........meaning all of you:p

From a sanitation standpoint, I don't see an issue with putting the hydrometer directly if you're sure it's clean. I'd still think taking a sample would be easier since reading the hydrometer might be challenging. Plus you get to taste your beer!

It's sometimes a bit hard for me (due to the angle and my old eyes) to get an accurate read on the sanitized hydro dropped into the bucket.

I now cheat. I went ahead and added an Italian spigot to my primary same as what I used to make my bottling bucket. I do take it of and sanitize the heck out of it before use. After dropping a sample, I simply close the spigot and spray some Star-San up in there to flush out any residual liquid.

I have on occasion just taken my gravity reading by putting the hydrometer into the bucket, but that said I'd rather take it from from the testing jar. I can read the numbers better and I get to taste test afterwards.

Thanks for the good info, looking at the hydrometer from five inches down into an opaque bucket does not make for easy reading, and the opportunity to sample the brew, convinces me! Cheers:mug:

MattSFT said:
From a sanitation standpoint, I don't see an issue with putting the hydrometer directly if you're sure it's clean. I'd still think taking a sample would be easier since reading the hydrometer might be challenging. Plus you get to taste your beer!

Ya pretty much exactly this.

When the beer is ready for an FG reading take it,make note of the numbers. Then wait till the third day after that & take another to see if they're the same. No need to take samples 2,3,4 days in a row. Just take one,wait 2 days,then on the third day,take another. I try to minimize beer loss to testing.

You can also drill another hole in the top of your fermenter lid and use it to take samples with a wine thief, this way there is minimal disruption of the CO2 blanket.

You can just use a solid stopper to plug the hole when it's not in use.

I have also used the spigot when I use that particular fermenter and this method works well, just remember to remove the airlock first to prevent suck back.

The point of buckets is so that you can use the spigot to draw out a gravity sample without even opening the lid.

Besides that, I never take final gravity samples anymore because I always just let my been stay in the fermenter for 1-2 weeks longer than fermentation takes. If you let it sit in the fermenter until it's fully clarified it's obvious that fermentation is done.

Back