Gravity rise after racking/agitating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upstate12866

Reaction score
Just a curious question here.

Made a hoppy brown ale with extract and a little steeping grains, using some random "US Ale" yeast (I think it's comparable to US-05). OG 12.8 Bx/ 1.052. Took some gravity readings and got a steady 5.5 brix for three days. Decided to bottle at day 16.

That day I decided to first rack into a bottling bucket, then add sugar solution to prime. After racking, the gravity raised from 5.5. to about 6.5 Brix. After priming 3 gal with 77.5g of table sugar, the gravity read 7 Brix. Each reading was taken at least two times just to be sure.

I did some math and played with some online calculators; it seems that 77g of sugar will raise 3 gallons of beer about 2.6 gravity points or about .6 brix. This suggests my actual gravity was around 6.4 or 6.5 Brix at the end of fermentation. Also, a FG of about 1.009-1.010 (6.4 Bx) is more in line with my expectations than a FG of 1.003 (5.5 Bx).

Has anyone encountered something like this before? I usually just take a reading from the fermenter then rack into a bucket containing priming solution, so I don't usually take readings of just the beer after racking. I was not expecting this and it has occupied my thoughts since.

My best guess is the wort stratified into layers of different density, so when I took readings from the top, I got an inaccurate number. I suppose I could have also kicked up yeast into suspension when racking.

Does yeast or other stuff in suspension affect gravity? I.e., should I expect an increase in gravity whenever I agitate things?

And do you think a stable reading from the top of the primary vessel is still a reliable indicator to tell me the beer is done fermenting? I would prefer to continue to just sample from the top rather than agitate things or draw from deep inside the vessel. Especially because I bottle after just the primary step--less agitation is better for me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you may want to share.

Refractometers are not accurate in solutions that contain alcohol.

You need to run them through a conversion to get accurate gravities.

I always use an app that claims to do it for me. The Brix reading itself (what the instrument says) had risen between checking the primary and racking into another bucket.

I think I'm going to chalk this one up to the sample I drew from the very top of the liquid--must have been some layering happening due to the different densities.

Would you reckon that steady readings on wort that has stratified into layers is reliable? Or is it possible that fermentation is still happening in the lower levels while I get steady readings up top? (I know it's an odd question).

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Back